Shubham Kasera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • mumbai, india

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:07 AM

hello
i am about to shoot a hospital room scene. the lamps are off and its a night scene
could anyone help me out with any reference stills or some movies where such a scene was there? moreover im looking for a cooler contrasty look.

thanks

shubham

#2 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'm not familiar with the shows personally, but I would imagine any episodes of "House", "ER", "Grey's Anatomy" etc...could provide a plethora of such examples.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

House is a good example as there's a good deal of night stuff therein. But a lot of this will depend on what look you want.
Typically, from my recollection, day/night in most hospitals is about the same... it actually leads to something called ICU Psychosis, which my dad suffered from before his passing.
In any case, most of the rooms will have some floros somewhere over the bed which you can ops to be the only source therein. Or, you can go and have a table lamp with some spill in from out in the corridor, depending on how dark you want it. or just spill from outside in the hallways.
I don't recall if there are any night shots within this film, but The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, shot by Janusz Kaminski takes place primarily in a hospital (and it's a gorgeous film) and I'm sure can offer some good examples.

#4 Salil Sundresh

Salil Sundresh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

hello
i am about to shoot a hospital room scene. the lamps are off and its a night scene
could anyone help me out with any reference stills or some movies where such a scene was there? moreover im looking for a cooler contrasty look.

thanks

shubham

I think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (nominated for oscar in best cinematography, 1975) has some of this towards the end.

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

CineLab

Visual Products

Opal

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc