#1 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

There is an extraordinary rollerblading competition coming up this weekend, and i plan to document it on 16mm. (Eclair ACL)

The competition is rightfully named BitterCold because of the weather typically experienced that weekend, and i wanted to make sure i took proper care of my equipment.

When do i need to worry about the film fogging from condensation or the camera getting into trouble and needing the necessary plastic bag to toss it in?

I'll be making trips from inside say a home, travel to the skatepark etc, and inside to film the event... but i also wanted to be able to walk outside and shoot what's going on in the parking lot (usually beer consuming.)

so when do i need to worry about taking extra care of the film/equipment when shooting in these conditions?

Thank you!
-Nicholas

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

The competition is rightfully named BitterCold because of the weather typically experienced that weekend, and i wanted to make sure i took proper care of my equipment.
I'll be making trips from inside say a home, travel to the skatepark etc, and inside to film the event... but i also wanted to be able to walk outside and shoot what's going on in the parking lot (usually beer consuming.)

Pardon me as a Canadian, but first lets calibrate what "bitter cold" means here. What sort of average temperature are you expecting?

Generaly condensation is only a problem when going from a cold area to a warm area, so you might want to limit the number of times you move into a warm area, and seal anything you are moving into warm up in a mosture proof small bag.

If the camera is well serviced, it will likly stand up to moderate cold, say 10 degrees below freezing without too many concerns. If you are insure, the folks who last lubricated it may be able to tell you what the teperature range is for the libricants they used. The one items that often come up are battries, and the general sugestion is to keep them under your coat and use a cord if posible.

If it is really cold, Kodak used to do a booklet on "photography under arctic conditions"

http://www.kodak.com...hPubs/c9/c9.pdf

#3 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks!

Hopefully the weather shouldn't be less than 20 degrees. (Term bittercold is a nickname the Florida boys gave the contest.)

Would a trash bag work? Should it be a zip lock bag, or could i hand tie a plastic bag and be alright?

Thanks again
-nicholas

#4 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

How about taking raw film stock from the cold to the warm, vice/versa?

-nick

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

How about taking raw film stock from the cold to the warm, vice/versa?

warm to cold is not normaly too much of a problem. If you have cold stock put it in a plastic bag - exclude as much air as posible and seal the bag with a ziplock or by tying the open end tightly. allow a couple of hours for the film to warm up. see the film datasheet for times..

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC