Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

Wasn't sure where to put this...

I have searched the forums for information on where to obtain software for lighting diagrams but I've had no luck.

Does anyone know of any software available for download that can help in drawing out lighting lighting diagrams. I always see diagrams in the ASC mag and I've always wondered how the DP's go about drawing them.

Example - Page 47 in the October 2008 edition of the ASC.

Cheers.

Jamie McIntyre

Edited by Jamie McIntyre, 25 February 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

I have searched the forums for information on where to obtain software for lighting diagrams but I've had no luck.
Does anyone know of any software available for download that can help in drawing out lighting lighting diagrams. I always see diagrams in the ASC mag and I've always wondered how the DP's go about drawing them.

I know people who are successfully using Microsoft Visio for simple diagrams.

Two of the professional lighting CAD (computer aided drawing) programs are WYSIWYG and LD Assistant for Autocad. I've had both and prefer LD Assistant over WYSIWYG. In truth they're both totally overkill for film and video work unless you're lighting large Hollywood sets.

There is a functioning demo of WYSIWYG that is only crippled with respect to saving and printing. However, if you're using Windows you can press the "print screen" key on your keyboard and then paste the image into Paint or other graphics program and then print from there. Klunky...but free!

There used to be a uncrippled student discount version of WYSIWYG. If I remember correctly you needed a verification letter from your school, an ID wasn't enough to qualify.

WYSIWYG demo

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

I know people who are successfully using Microsoft Visio for simple diagrams.

Two of the professional lighting CAD (computer aided drawing) programs are WYSIWYG and LD Assistant for Autocad. I've had both and prefer LD Assistant over WYSIWYG. In truth they're both totally overkill for film and video work unless you're lighting large Hollywood sets.

There is a functioning demo of WYSIWYG that is only crippled with respect to saving and printing. However, if you're using Windows you can press the "print screen" key on your keyboard and then paste the image into Paint or other graphics program and then print from there. Klunky...but free!

There used to be a uncrippled student discount version of WYSIWYG. If I remember correctly you needed a verification letter from your school, an ID wasn't enough to qualify.

WYSIWYG demo

Great! THanks Hal, unfortunately I am on a mac. I may just use a word document software and use simple line drawings. Any other info? Sorry - I forgot to mention I work on a Mac platform.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hell, I find napkins work pretty well for me.
You could try doing it quick in Photoshop if you'd like and then insert it into word.
Then there are programs like frame-forge which is more a previz program, though.

#5 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Great! THanks Hal, unfortunately I am on a mac. I may just use a word document software and use simple line drawings. Any other info? Sorry - I forgot to mention I work on a Mac platform.

Omnigraffle. It's cheap and exactly what you want.

http://www.omnigroup...ns/OmniGraffle/

You can design your own *template* of lights. Email me and I can give you mine if you like.

Attached Images

• DOP_SC1_3.jpg
  • Hunted_Sc9_65.jpg

#6 dani mauri

dani mauri

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

its perfect for me too!! thanks John