3 replies to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

I'm gearing up to shoot my first feature. I've shot numerous shorts in the past and have approached them all fairly similar for pre production.

I want to make sure I do all in my abilities in pre production to make sure the shoot goes as smooth and as well approached as possible. Can people please share how they prep for a movie? From short films to multi million dollar features? All the things you do with the director, production designer, gaffer, key grip, camera, etc...

Thank you.

#2 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Never shot a feature myself, but my guess is to read the script so many times it makes you sick to look at it. Just know it inside and out. Your schedule and your locations are all going to change anyway. Someone's going to spill coffee all over you three ring binder. The only way to roll with the chaos is to always know where you are in the story. Lighting and photographing are things you - I presume - know anyway.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Aspirin. Lots of Aspirin. I prefer Advil personally, the brown ones.
Aside from that, know the script, make up a bible of small little shot-lists for the day. It's just important to keep track of everything as best you can.
Get the best crew you can because they'll be able to help you out as things try to snow-ball.
And sleep as much as you can, you need to be as well rested as possible (Which on many shoots isn't that well rested).

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

I build and nurture my relationship(s) with the Director. Sadly, you often have to remind them that your working hard for them and that all you are doing is in the interest of the Picture. The more you can win them over before hand the less chance of them viewing you as just a necessary evil in the hatt of production. Put on your armor every day!

Visual Products

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

The Slider

CineLab

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

CineTape