Elizabeth Starr

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Questions re: High School Event/hallway lighting
We plan like to cover overhead fluorescents with Apollo gels - Island Blue or Ozone Blue (maybe both, alternating).

1) What colors/material would work well under this lighting? We plan to line the halls almost completely with either mylar, metallic mylar, polyvinyl or gossamer. Would silver be a good neutral choice under the blue light? Should we stick with white or cream?

2) We also want to run solid color tape along either the floors or over the wall material, to give each hallway a separate color identity as a subway line. We'll need royal blue, orange and forest or kelly green (not yellow-green). Can anyone recommend an adhesive tape that either glows in the dark (all-night grad party, 8 hours) or is otherwise able to be seen under the bluish light that the gel-filtered overhead fluorescents will produce?

3) Can anyone recommend a source for adhesive sheets of reflective material that can be cut into desired shapes?

Look forward to answers - desperately seeking input!

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:27 AM

Questions re: High School Event/hallway lighting
We plan like to cover overhead fluorescents with Apollo gels - Island Blue or Ozone Blue (maybe both, alternating).

1) What colors/material would work well under this lighting? We plan to line the halls almost completely with either mylar, metallic mylar, polyvinyl or gossamer. Would silver be a good neutral choice under the blue light? Should we stick with white or cream?

Well, "good" is a relative term, what are you trying to achieve in the look, I mean what are you going for? Sometimes disgusting might be good for what you might be trying to achieve, see what I mean?

2) We also want to run solid color tape along either the floors or over the wall material, to give each hallway a separate color identity as a subway line. We'll need royal blue, orange and forest or kelly green (not yellow-green). Can anyone recommend an adhesive tape that either glows in the dark (all-night grad party, 8 hours) or is otherwise able to be seen under the bluish light that the gel-filtered overhead fluorescents will produce?

I don't know of any glow in the dark tape but maybe reflective safety tape might work if you hit it with strategically placed slashes of light.

3) Can anyone recommend a source for adhesive sheets of reflective material that can be cut into desired shapes?

I would check hobby supply stores

Hope it helps a little.

Look forward to answers - desperately seeking input!

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 27 February 2009 - 05:29 AM.

#3 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

1) This one's a little hard to answer without knowing more about the look you are trying to get. How did you make the choice on the gels?

2) There are several types of gaffers tape that glow in the dark or glow under blacklight, but all the glow-in-the-dark ones that I've seen are that yellow-green color. They also make gaff tape in all sorts of neon colors. Some of those fluoresce well under blacklight. I think it's going to be hard to render colors accurately under the lighting scheme you have proposed.

3) You might consider one of the temporary spray mount adhesives for sticking your reflective material to surfaces. An art supply place should have them.

Best of luck with your project!

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera