Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

I'm operating on a gig this weekend on the HVX with the letus adapter and master primes.

I just wondered how front heavy it's going to be and if any operators could give me some advice on controlling the camera. It's all going to be hand held too.

eek

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

I just wondered how front heavy it's going to be...

Very front heavy... Also seems like a waste of good glass, since you won't see an increase in sharpness with the master primes on an adapter vs. a much cheaper superspeed. Of course the bokeh, not to mention focus mechanics will be better.

Are you using the letus rod system? One thing I can think of is clamping a small on-board monitor on a noga arm off the camera handle and using that for framing instead of the HVX's lcd. That way you can have the whole rig further back on your shoulder. Maybe add some boa bags to the back. But still, it's going to be very front heavy and long, sorry.

#3 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

Are you using the letus rod system? One thing I can think of is clamping a small on-board monitor on a noga arm off the camera handle and using that for framing instead of the HVX's lcd. That way you can have the whole rig further back on your shoulder. Maybe add some boa bags to the back. But still, it's going to be very front heavy and long, sorry.

I don't think you're going to be able to operate off the shoulder without a onboard monitor as the HVX screen is going to be so far back its next to useless. Difficult enough on sticks, operating from the tail (some people like it like that in general, I cant stand it prefer to stand over the middle leg) but next to impossible handheld.
I agree that it may be a waste of money, if moneys tight, renting MPs but that may not be your decision. I haven't used the Letus just some of the competitors products from P+S and Redrock. They all make handheld extremely difficult and heavy. Best of luck...

#4 Mathew Rudenberg

Mathew Rudenberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

The best handheld 35mm adaptor I've used is the movietube which I've gotten from abel before
(http://www.abelcine....oductid=1000151)

Honestly it's a little softer than the p+s (don't know about the new letus, the old ones were even softer than the movietube), but quite comfortable to handhold, and it has a viewfinder.

If I were going to be handheld all day I would trade in the MP's for cheaper lenses and get the better rig, as others have said - the sharpness of the glass is just not going to make it through the relay.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

The best handheld 35mm adaptor I've used is the movietube...

Agreed. The SL feels like a heavier 235, it's very comfortable to handhold.

#6 DS Williams

DS Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

I would guesstimate 12-15 pounds. I have an HPX170 with the Brevis adapter and Zeiss ZF's. You will need an onboard monitor, like an Ikan or a marshall. The HVX LCD is useless for focusing, it's only 220,000 pixels I believe.

#7 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

HVX??? I thought you were a (Film) guy Jamie!... just kidding.. have a great shoot.

It all helps.

#8 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

HVX??? I thought you were a (Film) guy Jamie!... just kidding.. have a great shoot.

It all helps.

Haha I do love film! I just got back from day 1 of the shoot. The camera is pretty heavy but it is manageable. We tried to get Ultra Primes from the camera house but they didnt have the focal lengths we wanted so they gave us the Master Primes for a VERY good price.

It really does create a spectacular image, the whole of the camera department is stoked to be working with these amazing lenses. Our focus puller is doing a great job too. We had a shot today that racked from 60 feet to 1 foot 5 inches and it was perfect the, invisible in fact. Considering it was his first time ever seeing these lenses let alone pulling on them he did a great job.

I'm just loving working with these great lenses. I will post our completely ghetto (student :P) camera set up on Sunday. It should provide you with some good laughs!

:)

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

CineLab

CineTape

Abel Cine