Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a film right now in Super8 and I'm wondering about a good device for sound recording. We're doing all the final soundtrack in post. We just need a simple recording device for "audio assist" basically a recording of the live soundtrack for reference. Because we won't be keeping the live audio, this can be a device that's cheap and produces a lossy sound. I don't really care about quality, just as long as we can determine what we're listening to. We have a tape recorder, which is fine then we have to capture the audio on to the computer so that's just an added task. I've seen a lot of mp3 recorders but only with built in mics. Anyone know of any that have a 1/8" mic-in? Something easy and cheap around $30.

#2 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

This probably belongs in the audio forum, but since we're here...

I'm guessing that you're going to need to bump your budget up to find something with an external mic input.
I've been very pleased with the Olympus digital voice recorders. I've currently got a WS-110 ($50-$60) that is WMA rather than MP3, but the conversion is easy, so don't let that stop you. I use it for recording pre-interviews, meetings, etc. The sound quality is fine for reference use, and it does have an 1/8" input which I've given a feed from the sound mixer before to get a reference audio track. It is small, light, and easy to use. It has a built-in USB connector, so you just plug it into your laptop and pull the files off when you are done.

CineLab

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC