Some advice on shooting at night

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi

I'm a student at farnham in surrey. We are currently doing a drama/doc in which we have a night scene. I am curious to how to light it as i have never done something like this before and i am desperately seeking advice.

Here is the scene,

Night
a lone hitchhiker is standing by the side of the road. The road is surrounded by forest. Cars drive past. Then a car stops for the hitchhiker. The driver looks the man up and down and decides to give him a Lift. The two men sit in the car. Theres a monologue at this point.

After thinking about this scene for a while i thought that it would be okay to leave the frame in total darkness and just have it illuminated by a passing car every now and then.

The next shot would be of the hitchhiker standing next to the car, i thought i would have a long shot from behind some trees, the hitchhiker would silhouetted by the light of the drivers torch, also, there would be car headlights and possibly an inside light. The frame would consist of some with some light wrapped around the edges and deep in the center of the frame would be the light of the car and the silhouette of the man.

Then for inside the car, there would be a dim possible yellowy/green dim inside light and cars driving past, as well as the dash lights for the driver.

As you can see there is alot here, what i would really like to know is when is the best hours for filming, i was thinking just after golden hour, but im not sure how much light that actually is or for how long that would actually last for. We get to choose stock.

-jeremy

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc