Steve J James

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hi All,

I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me identify a camera model. Notice in the image below how the exposed area extends into the left sprocket like U16, problem is it doesn’t do it on the right side so it’s not U16. The films were exposed in the mid 50’s and mid 60’s respectively, two separate cameras.

Question, has anyone experience this kind of anomaly, what 16mm has a gate like this?

m

Anomaly.jpg

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

To use this forum you need to register with your real first and last name. Please do so.

Best,
-Tim

#3 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi All,

I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me identify a camera model. Notice in the image below how the exposed area extends into the left sprocket like U16, problem is it doesn’t do it on the right side so it’s not U16. The films were exposed in the mid 50’s and mid 60’s respectively, two separate cameras.

Question, has anyone experience this kind of anomaly, what 16mm has a gate like this?

m

Anomaly.jpg

Steve,

Both of those cameras used 16mm 50ft daylight load magazines. It is obvious by the shape of the mask where your arrows point. That mask is the shape of the magazine's aperature, that is why it looks the same on both clips.

The film on the left was shot with a Bell & Howell mag load camera something along the lines of these from the 50's / 60's:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The black bar between the sprocket holes is Bell & Howell's mark to identify the camera model. I have several 200ee cameras that look the same.

All 16mm cameras had an identifying mark around their aperture to I.D. them. Here's an old chart, but you'll get the idea. Look in the 1st column, go down to the "Bell-Howell Filmo 141-153" frame. That is the model of the 1st mag load cameras from B&H, the forerunners of the models pictured above.

Then look at the 3rd column and go to the "Cine Kodak Magazine" frame.... similar shape, no?

Posted Image

Not sure of the camera used to expose the film on the right, as I couldn't locate a 60's chart, the above chart is from the mid 40's!

Hope that helps!

Charlie

#4 Steve J James

Steve J James

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

Your awesome Charlie, I think you nailed the Filmo. Guess I’ll try to track down a 60’s chart.

Much Thanks.

s

#5 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Your awesome Charlie, I think you nailed the Filmo. Guess I’ll try to track down a 60’s chart.

Steve,
The black bar between the sprocket holes on the Filmo was made by a camera part at the camera's gate. The curved masked area where your arrow points to was made by the aperature on the magazine. You need to look at a mag to see the opening.

I doubt a newer chart exists. You would have to look at the gates of any cartridge load amateur cameras available at the time.

Some 50's - 60's 16mm cart load cameras:

Cine-Kodak Royal
Keystone K-50, K-55 Mayfair
Revere Magazine 16 C-34

Look through this site Cine Cameras.

Are the films you have "home movies". Do you know who shot them? Just curious, but why do you want to know which camera was used?

Charlie

#6 Steve J James

Steve J James

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Charlie,

Check your PM.

s