Photo

Dimming a tungsten light during a shot - any examples?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Roessler

Marc Roessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Hi,

is there any scene in a film where the tungsten lighting has been dimmed up or down during the shot?
I'd like to see how extreme the color changes actually are, before the exposure drops off enough not to register any more.

Greetings,
Marc

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

I am sure there are tons of examples. I did a shot last weekend where we had the lights dim as a charecter is getting ready to leave, but I won't have the telecine back for a while. If color shift is your question, there are tons of calculators out there that will tell you the mired shift and equivelent CTO strength at various percents of dimming. Very helpful, and if you have a good sense of what a 1/2 CTO would look like on the film you want to shoot, it can give you a good idea of the photometrics and color of the lights once dimmed.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

Any number of Storaro-shot movies, the most famous example of on-screen dimming of sources in the frame being "One From the Heart".

Also, the last shots of "Ladyhawke" have most of the church lighting fade away, leaving only the shaft of light through the big window.

In "Blade Runner" (Cronenweth, not Storaro) there's a shot of Harrison Ford crossing into his kitchen to get Rachel a glass and a drink after he tells her she's a replicant -- the room lights fade up as he enters the kitchen then fade away behind his head as he watches her go.

How much you notice the color temp shift is partly determined by the speed of the fading.

#4 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

toward the end of "the yard's" there is a scene were james cane is meeting mark wahlberg in old warehouse with the light dimming.

in the movie there are a lot off scene play with dim light that happen because of electrical blackout

BTW

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST BUTIFULE SHOT MOVIES I EVER SAW!

HARRIS SAVIDAS ASC IS GREAT MASTER

CineTape

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

The Slider