#1 Steven Boldt

Steven Boldt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Milwaukee

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I'm just getting started with a Nizo 3048 and when I film it runs down after about 5-8 seconds. The batteries should be good. It just gradually runs down.

#2 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

:unsure: not to sure what you mean by running down, one thing for sure, those dreaded 4 digit series nizo camera, ie, 4056, 6080, etc, have a rubber internal drive band that stretches over time, rendering the camera useless. ( unless you know of a repairer ). Does your claw and or centre drive core operate??. Its been a long time, i cant remember whether that drive belt operates the claw, centre core gear or both... It could be your belt has become worn/stretched...
Andy

#3 Steven Boldt

Steven Boldt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Milwaukee

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

I think the batteries needed a good long charge. It seems to be O.K. now. I'm looking at other cameras because I don't like the design of the XXXX series Nizos."Dreaded". That's about it, LOL.

#4 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

:unsure: ooops, didn't realise you were using rechargable batts, assumed you were using fresh alkalines....

#5 Steven Boldt

Steven Boldt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Milwaukee

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

When I put in some Alkalines just for a second to test the camera the light indicators in the view-finder were much brighter than with the NiCd batteries. I would say don't use 1.5V alkalines in the camera if it calls for 1.2V NiCds. It's too much of a difference in voltage and will cause problems down the road.

This is unrelated but I'm interested in a Bauer camera. I can't find accurate info about running the new Ektachrome with them. I have different sources about the new film and Bauers but they don't match. Any Bauer users with first hand experience around? They seem like really solid designs with good lenses and good manuals. I know the Nizos have good lenses but they may not be right for someone who is only going to use 1 or 2 cameras like me. They seem good for the real junkie with 3 or 4+ cameras. Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm new to Super 8. :D

#6 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

When I put in some Alkalines just for a second to test the camera the light indicators in the view-finder were much brighter than with the NiCd batteries. I would say don't use 1.5V alkalines in the camera if it calls for 1.2V NiCds. It's too much of a difference in voltage and will cause problems down the road.

This is unrelated but I'm interested in a Bauer camera. I can't find accurate info about running the new Ektachrome with them. I have different sources about the new film and Bauers but they don't match. Any Bauer users with first hand experience around? They seem like really solid designs with good lenses and good manuals. I know the Nizos have good lenses but they may not be right for someone who is only going to use 1 or 2 cameras like me. They seem good for the real junkie with 3 or 4+ cameras. Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm new to Super 8. :D

Hi, certainly later bauers only read 40+160 stocks, models like 715,709 207,209 xl etc. I found with the 3-4 bauers i've owned over the years, including the 709 & 715 is they alway tended to slightly under expose k40, canon cameras, like the 310, 514xl etc, always slightly over exposed k40. I've succesfully used 64t in bauers, exposure has been fine... Your better off purchasing a camera with auto exp, that can read the stocks, as one day in a run and gun situation, auto exposure may come in useful. Other option of course is to purchase a bauer and use the slightly fiddly manual exposure dial in order to obtain correct exposure..

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineLab

Technodolly