Car HEADLIGHTS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

hi, ive never done this before so i was wondering if anyone had any experience with it..
Basicly, im shooting at night and im wondering if car headlights would be bright enough to show on 500t? Also, would they be the right kinda shape and quality of light?

Any advice?

-Jeremy

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

I assume you mean the light hitting the road; they do show as two elongated hot spots hitting the road surface - how hot will depend on your lens aperture. However, if you want the actual headlight beams, you'll need to have smoke.

#3 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

Depends on the headlights but you may be in a situation where you actually need to ND them. This can be a painful task if the headlights are conical. If they're flat front, it'll be easier. If you have xenon headlights, they'll show up slightly colder than most headlights which may or may not be desired.

#4 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

I assume you mean the light hitting the road; they do show as two elongated hot spots hitting the road surface - how hot will depend on your lens aperture. However, if you want the actual headlight beams, you'll need to have smoke.

Yeah, we were thinking about wetting the road, but that idea got thrown out.

further explination is required. The car is coming around a bend and facing the camera. As it turns it lights up the trees and when it faces the camera it creates a silouette of our main charachter. Also the film is set in the 80s in russia, so i think for the sake of truth we are going to try and use what thy actually had.

I want to shoot this on 500t

Edited by Jeremy Hunt, 08 March 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:19 AM

further explination is required. The car is coming around a bend and facing the camera. As it turns it lights up the trees and when it faces the camera it creates a silouette of our main charachter. Also the film is set in the 80s in russia, so i think for the sake of truth we are going to try and use what thy actually had.

I would measure the headlight just like any other light for exposure. I suspect you shouldn't have any problems with modern headlights on full beam and wide aperture primes, but you'll have to check out the location to see if the beams will actually hit the trees because dips and rises in the road etc and if the trees are too far back from the road. Although, if you're using an old Russian Lada car, you may find the headlights aren't that powerful,

I'd do some measurements at the location with your car to check things out. Also, just bear in mind that trees aren't that reflective.

The silhouette effect, shouldn't be a problem, just plan the best path for your car.

#6 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:55 AM

I would measure the headlight just like any other light for exposure. I suspect you shouldn't have any problems with modern headlights on full beam and wide aperture primes, but you'll have to check out the location to see if the beams will actually hit the trees because dips and rises in the road etc and if the trees are too far back from the road. Although, if you're using an old Russian Lada car, you may find the headlights aren't that powerful,

I'd do some measurements at the location with your car to check things out. Also, just bear in mind that trees aren't that reflective.

The silhouette effect, shouldn't be a problem, just plan the best path for your car.

Yes your right, trees arnt =(

But thanks very much =)
-jeremy

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

CineTape

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC