• Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • mumbai, india

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

hello
I am about to shoot a short film on 35mm using Fuji stock
I would like to know if any of you have used Fuji before and if one should rate the stock differently
I am shooting the outdoor with Fuji 250D and indoors with 400T
i chose Fuji because im looking for a texture in the film as the new vision 3 does not provide that
moreover im looking forward to having more of earthly tones as well as good skin tones

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

Overexposing by 2/3's of a stop works well, so 160 ASA for 250D and 250 ASA for 400T.

#3 Shubham Kasera

Shubham Kasera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • mumbai, india

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

thnx david

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

I've found that the 8583 400T is not as low-con as I expected it to be, compared to 8573 500T. It seems to be a bit grainier than the 500T. I've found I can rate them both 1 stop under and print up, and still get a good image. Just remember that you don't leave yourself any safety margin if you choose do that. I didn't see a huge improvement overexposing by a stop and printing down either, so if it's for telecine then I'd rate them at Fuji's recommended EI. My test was for print, so for telecine you probably have slightly more latitude.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

I disagree -- almost every bad experience someone has had with Fuji stocks has been due to underexposure, so it helps to give yourself a margin of safety by rating the stocks slower.

#6 Gregory Middleton

Gregory Middleton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver BC

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

Rating 1/3 or 2/3's of a stop under the Recommended EI works well ( 320 and 200 ). The 400T can become very muddy when underexposed. It has a much more noticeable grain than the 250D and a lower color saturation.
Are you finishing photochemically? The differences in Color can be easily matched in digital post.

I've found that the 8583 400T is not as low-con as I expected it to be, compared to 8573 500T. It seems to be a bit grainier than the 500T. I've found I can rate them both 1 stop under and print up, and still get a good image. Just remember that you don't leave yourself any safety margin if you choose do that. I didn't see a huge improvement overexposing by a stop and printing down either, so if it's for telecine then I'd rate them at Fuji's recommended EI. My test was for print, so for telecine you probably have slightly more latitude.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Glidecam

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks