Stephen Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

hi,
i hope this isn't too obvious a question.
I'm going to light an interior and was hoping to get a yellowish cast from the lights, to mimic low wattage practicals. I know the obvious answer is to do a test but i was hoping someone could give some indication before i buy some new gels.

if i use say a pale gold gel over tungsten lights using daylight film will this give the yellow cast or will it just enhance the orange of the lights??

If on the other hand i used a 1/2 or 1/4 ctb over the lights would this increase the 3200k tungsten to a more yellowish tone? again using daylight balanced film.

thanks

Edited by Stephen Smith, 08 March 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

If you are using daylight film, an ungelled tungsten lamp is going to look very orange, the same as shooting on tungsten film and putting Full CTO on the lamp. So this already seems to go far beyond the merely warm look of low-wattage practicals.

On tungsten film, it's not unusual to put 1/4 CTO or 1/4 CTS (slightly yellower than CTO) on a tungsten movie lamp to match the warmth of practicals, which are more in the 2800K range.

Shoot a grey scale under "white" light as a reference if this is film so that the colorist / timer knows that the warmth is intentional.

You can add even more overall warmth in post as well.

#3 Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

If you are using daylight film, an ungelled tungsten lamp is going to look very orange, the same as shooting on tungsten film and putting Full CTO on the lamp. So this already seems to go far beyond the merely warm look of low-wattage practicals.

On tungsten film, it's not unusual to put 1/4 CTO or 1/4 CTS (slightly yellower than CTO) on a tungsten movie lamp to match the warmth of practicals, which are more in the 2800K range.

Shoot a grey scale under "white" light as a reference if this is film so that the colorist / timer knows that the warmth is intentional.

You can add even more overall warmth in post as well.

thanks for the reply david. I will shoot some tests with some 1/4 cts.

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS