#1 Dave Brunelle

Dave Brunelle

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

We're wondering how loud this thing is, do you think a studio mic that is 10-15 feet away will catch the noise from the camera if it makes any?

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

I shoot Sync Sound with my SR2 all the time ;)

#3 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

:lol: @ David.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You might want to throw a sound blanket/sweatshirt on it if the mags are loud, but, yeah...they're MADE to be Silent, and also Reflex.

Hence the name. ;)

Jon Fauer's book might have exact decibel levels in it somewhere, or maybe the Arri website would have specs for the SR3, if you're really curious.

#4 Nigel Smith

Nigel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

We're wondering how loud this thing is, do you think a studio mic that is 10-15 feet away will catch the noise from the camera if it makes any?

If the mag is loaded correctly, you should have little problem at that distance with a directional mic.
Problems can occur with close-ups shot on wide angle lenses for sync dialogue.
We have a barney - padded jacket - for these ocassions and sometimes pile coats on top as well.
Using a good shotgun mic, you can help by ensuring that not only is the actor 'on axis', but that the camera is 'off axis'. To put it another way, try and ensure the back of the mic is pointing at the camera ;)

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

Perhaps this is obvious, but it depends on how well the camera has been maintained. If it has been regularly serviced and loaded correctly, then it should be fine. You may need to throw a barney over the mag for very tight interior locations. If it's a beater film school camera, then who knows.

#6 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

The Arri SR one and two were never the quietest cameras out there even though they are silent cameras. As Satsuki mentions, maintenece is a huge factor. I have a high speed SR one that is made to record sound. Outside and in large rooms it is fine. But get into a tight, small and quiet room and it gets dicey as far as sound goes. I have a barney for my camera that covers the mag and most of the body, but the typical SR barney leaves the area where the motor is and under the lens, the most open.

Best

Tim

#7 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

I once shot with an SR2 with mags that very badly needed service. The mags were named....one was "Thumper" and another was "Scratchy" (as in "Itchy and Scratchy". The names described exactly what the sound coming from the mags was.
But in general the camera is fine for sound as long as it's been maintained well.

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

CineLab

CineTape

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Wooden Camera