#1 Nikita K Carpenter Jr

Nikita K Carpenter Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Student
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

What are they? I shoot to projects on it at my college. I wanted to try it out and I found it interesting because of the HDV format and its 24F mode. I found that recording to miniDV gave me the same amount of grain as I would have if I shot on an SD camera with similar settings.

What did I do wrong? I can try to grab some still frames to show you what I mean. There was no gain used and it was even evident in daylight situations where there was plenty of light to be had.

I keep thinking that it's because of the codec, but I don't know much about it or the camera besides what I've learned on those two shoots. Any experts want to fill me in?

#2 Chris Bowman

Chris Bowman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

What are they? I shoot to projects on it at my college. I wanted to try it out and I found it interesting because of the HDV format and its 24F mode. I found that recording to miniDV gave me the same amount of grain as I would have if I shot on an SD camera with similar settings.

What did I do wrong? I can try to grab some still frames to show you what I mean. There was no gain used and it was even evident in daylight situations where there was plenty of light to be had.

I keep thinking that it's because of the codec, but I don't know much about it or the camera besides what I've learned on those two shoots. Any experts want to fill me in?

Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but this might help.

The cleanest images are captured with the noise set to -3dB. I have found that noise is usually not a problem at the 0dB and +3dB as well. 6dB is sometimes acceptable, depending on the scene, but after that noise just becomes unacceptable for most purposes. Be sure that the auto gain switch is set to off, and don't shoot in auto or "easy" mode (green box setting) as these will ignore your gain setting. If you are really getting a lot of noise with the gain at 0dB, it might be the way that your preset is configured, try changing to a different custom preset. You can download them (Here are a few to get you started) or tweak one of your own. You can store up to 30 on a SD card (the camera won't recognize more than 30)

If you do this and still can't get an acceptable image, there might be something wrong with the camera.

Edited by Chris Bowman, 13 March 2009 - 11:04 AM.

#3 Chris Bowman

Chris Bowman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but this might help.

The cleanest images are captured with the noise set to -3dB.

Meant to say: "The cleanest images are captured with the gain set to -3dB."

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc