New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hey All,

Just chopped this montage together. Color Grading done in Scratch. Mostly Red footage. Some Phantom and Film is in there also.

http://www.yohancebrown.com/

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

Hey All,

Just chopped this montage together. Color Grading done in Scratch. Mostly Red footage. Some Phantom and Film is in there also.

http://www.yohancebrown.com/

It might be nice if you could splitscreen the corrected and raw footage to show the difference. I think it would get the point across better than only showing the finished footage.

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hey All,

Just a suggestion:

Rather than calling yourself a "Scratch Colorist," I think you'd be better off calling yourself a Colorist (or a Finishing Artist, or whatever you think of yourself as), and then listing operating a Scratch system as one of your skills. Any time I encounter someone who refers to themselves based on a single piece of gear, I think of that person as more technical than artistic, and that's not a good way to be viewed when you're a colorist. BTW, I tend to see those who want to sell themselves as "Final Cut Pro Editors" the same way. The attraction is in the talent and the skill, not in the piece of gear that happens to be in front of you at the moment. And yes, I realize that you're not necessarily looking to leave your current employer. But if you're going to present yourself to the larger community, it should be as an artist, not as a technician limited to one piece of software.

Like I said, just a suggestion.

#4 yohance brown

yohance brown

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Just a suggestion:

Rather than calling yourself a "Scratch Colorist," I think you'd be better off calling yourself a Colorist (or a Finishing Artist, or whatever you think of yourself as), and then listing operating a Scratch system as one of your skills. Any time I encounter someone who refers to themselves based on a single piece of gear, I think of that person as more technical than artistic, and that's not a good way to be viewed when you're a colorist. BTW, I tend to see those who want to sell themselves as "Final Cut Pro Editors" the same way. The attraction is in the talent and the skill, not in the piece of gear that happens to be in front of you at the moment. And yes, I realize that you're not necessarily looking to leave your current employer. But if you're going to present yourself to the larger community, it should be as an artist, not as a technician limited to one piece of software.

Like I said, just a suggestion.

Thats good advice. I've been grappling with that thought for some time now. Funny thing is that I get more work when people find out I know Scratch. Places that have DaVinci and Lustres already have colorist on staff. I'm freelance and most of my freelance work is done on Scratch. But I do see what you are saying and I think you are right.

Thanks for keeping it real.

#5 yohance brown

yohance brown

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

It might be nice if you could splitscreen the corrected and raw footage to show the difference. I think it would get the point across better than only showing the finished footage.

I know that would be ideal however my commercial clients are very finicky about having their products displayed without color correct. Also I am very careful about covering my DOPs. My job is to make sure their work is always seen in the best light possible. I never want someone to look at my ungraded material and say. Is that what the DOP shot? Yea I don't want that.

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc