#1 Steven Boldt

Steven Boldt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Milwaukee

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

I took my first stab at doing a Super 8 DIY telecine. I'm using a Sankyo Dualux 2000, Sony mini DV camcorder. I can get the flicker down to about once ever 3-5 seconds but I can't get rid of it entirely. It's not too bad really but is it possible to improve on this? Also, there is some noticable interlacing.

#2 Steven Boldt

Steven Boldt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Milwaukee

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:47 AM

I took my first stab at doing a Super 8 DIY telecine. I'm using a Sankyo Dualux 2000, Sony mini DV camcorder. I can get the flicker down to about once ever 3-5 seconds but I can't get rid of it entirely. It's not too bad really but is it possible to improve on this? Also, there is some noticable interlacing.

Another question. My projector runs from 14-22 fps. If I shoot Super 8 at 24 fps what would be the best way to do this. I assumed I could shoot at 24 fps then slow it down to 20 fps when doing the telecine(20 being a multiple of 60 used by the camcorder). Then speed it back up in my NLE.

I don't have my own footage processed yet. I grabbed a movie short off ebay that is probably 18 fps.

Edited by Steven Boldt, 18 March 2009 - 01:49 AM.

#3 Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Director
  • Mexico DF

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hi!!
try virtual dub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) to take the flicker out.
Virtual dub is an open source soft that have many many filters that can help you.

it have deflciker to take the flicker out, deshaker could help you if you have some shake originated in the projector or in camera.

best wishes!!
GT

Another question. My projector runs from 14-22 fps. If I shoot Super 8 at 24 fps what would be the best way to do this. I assumed I could shoot at 24 fps then slow it down to 20 fps when doing the telecine(20 being a multiple of 60 used by the camcorder). Then speed it back up in my NLE.

I don't have my own footage processed yet. I grabbed a movie short off ebay that is probably 18 fps.

#4 Steven Boldt

Steven Boldt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Milwaukee

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Thanks General,
I got my footage back from alphacine and I've been using Virtualdub. Great tool. The biggest problem I'm having is a pulsating sort of hot spot. I've read that you have to sort of ride the variable speed on the projector to do away with it. Not so great results but it's still fun.

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineLab

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets