2 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Barry

Adrian Barry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this post but here it goes.

I have been asked to shoot a training session in Germany then "give it a quick edit" and hand out a few DVD's of the days sessions. As simple as it sounds I have concerns in regards to managing such a work load on a very small budget (£500 including rentals and my wages).

From my experience Capturing the rushes into Final Cut is a timely process as is authoring the DVD's

1. Does any one have any experience of working in such a way, if so do you have any suggestions?

2. Is there a quicker way to turn the final product around than shoot all of the footage then import onto final cut pro using the same camera then export onto DVD? Bare in mind I plan to use a Z1 as it is free, so D.V would most likely be the format.

The only other practical way I can think of is use a Sony ex1 and shoot onto cards, importing as I go.

The problems with this however is the rental cost will be much greater, and although I havn't used the camera the cards wont hold much footage (around 15 minutes I guess)

3. Can any one suggest a cheaper but similar method?

I'm sorry if this is off the beaten path of the usual topics, but hopefully a subject some one can address.

Many many thanks

Adrian

#2 Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Grip
  • San Francisco

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:28 AM

Can you have the laptop next to your camera if you're not moving around too much and capture while you shoot? Although you'll end up with a pretty hefty file, you would basically have all your footage captured as soon as they're finished. From there you can start authoring your DVD, which should just be the converting and burning of the DVD. Do everything else the day or so before if possible.

#3 Adrian Barry

Adrian Barry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean shoot straight onto the laptop through fire wire. I would be using a Z1 so is this possible? Have you done any thing like this before?

cheers

Adrian

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks