#1 tom doherty

tom doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student
  • u.k

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

shooting only my second super 16mm short beginning of april with an arri sr2, just ordered the stock from kodak, will be shooting 800ft of vision2 200t for daylight exterior and interior, and 400ft of vision3 500t for nighttime exterior and interior.
any reccomendations on how i should rate these stocks? (i will be using a sekonic l-358 lightmeter). read somewhere its a good idea to overexpose some negative by 1/3 of a stop? good idea? any other tips?

#2 John Hoffler

John Hoffler
  • Sustaining Members
  • 132 posts
  • Film Loader
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

overexposing by 2/3rds of a stop and printing down in post has worked well for me

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

any reccomendations on how i should rate these stocks? (i will be using a sekonic l-358 lightmeter). read somewhere its a good idea to overexpose some negative by 1/3 of a stop? good idea? any other tips?

HI tom.
have you looked in the achives of this board for some ideas on film rating.? there are LOTS of threads that have "good ideas" on exposuing film, depending on the look and emostion you want your scene to have. YES if your meter is accurate, many folks would overexpose by 1/3 ot 2/3 of a stop as a handy rule of thumb when using negative film.

#4 tom doherty

tom doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student
  • u.k

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

HI tom.
have you looked in the achives of this board for some ideas on film rating.? there are LOTS of threads that have "good ideas" on exposuing film, depending on the look and emostion you want your scene to have. YES if your meter is accurate, many folks would overexpose by 1/3 ot 2/3 of a stop as a handy rule of thumb when using negative film.

thanks for the reply. i plan to overexpose about 1/3rd of a stop depending on lighting situations. would this be reccomended for both 200t and 500t?

thanks again for any help.

#5 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

thanks for the reply. i plan to overexpose about 1/3rd of a stop depending on lighting situations. would this be reccomended for both 200t and 500t?

thanks again for any help.

Like Charles said, it all depends what you whant to achieve. 1/3 stop overexposure is very minimal. As John suggested above, 2/3's of a stop overexpsure is the more "established" rating of faster stocks, to clean up grain and to get more detail in the shadows.

In the past I have overexposed up to 1 1/2 stops and underexposed 2 1/2 for different effects. To clean up the grain 2/3 or 1 stop over should do it.

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery