1 reply to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Theres a scene in The Aviator I would like to know what the process was to re-create today. I am NOT talking about the Technicolor scene, but rather the beginning of the scene of the Hell's Angels premier. It starts with an ariel shot, then a shot driving down the street at night leading t the theater. it looks like film from 50 years ago. Does anyone know how they would have produced these shots?

Thanks.

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

watch the special feature DVD. Its a combination of archival footage, a model, a force perspective partial set and duplicating a crowd of extras several times over to fill the scene. I believe the airplanes were CG. If not they might have been models, but the smoke was definitely CG. If you look the footage from the road is much grainier and the falloff of the light is much quicker. I think that is archival footage of the actual premiere.

I think if I remember right they duplicated the crowd against a half height set that used forced perspective to make it seem longer, and they extended the set upwards with the model photography. The special edition DVD explains in detail all the effects shots. They used very little CG to do the work, which is probably why their effects stand out.

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Abel Cine

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport