#1 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Hi.

I really wanted to get hold of an LED eye light, just for those situations where the eyes are a bit too dark and you don't want to go flooding any more light into the scene.

Has anyone seen a place in the UK where it can be rented or prefferebly bought?

I was looking intyo builing one out of a flexi stand and LED strip light although I would preffer something that is designed for it.

Cheers.
Dan.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Check out the LitePanels Micro. Don't know where in the U.K. you can get it -- is there a film industry supply store there? Or maybe a big professional photo store?

#3 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hey, before you go buying that, look into the Prompter People/Flolight Microbeam. . .I just got one myself. I believe it's a lot more powerful than the Litepanels, and around the same price (Microbeam is $329 USD). It can be powered off of several types of camcorder batteries (they will custom build it to the type you choose--mine uses my XL2 batteries). Has a dimmer, and also comes with a few color correction gels.

I posted a review with lots of photos at "another forum."

Edited by Josh Bass, 25 March 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#4 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

How directional are these lights?

I don't know if anyone has seen that orange wednesday advert, where they're in that cafe speaking to a women about a film where she communicates with the dead (can't remember who it was or the advert very well) but they are using a really directional eye light which literally covers from one eye to another and that's it.

It wasn't used very well as you can actually distinguish a shape (long oblong) of light going across the eyes, however it does literally pick out the eye areas leavnig the rest of the face.

I was thinking of something seperate from the camera as it will be used with sony DSR and panasonic HDX setups on drama shoots, not so much documentary and I think the lens may block some of the light (perhaps, never used one so I don't know)

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 25 March 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#5 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

How directional are these lights?

It wasn't used very well as you can actually distinguish a shape (long oblong) of light going across the eyes, however it does literally pick out the eye areas leavnig the rest of the face.

I was thinking of something seperate from the camera as it will be used with sony DSR and panasonic HDX setups on drama shoots, not so much documentary and I think the lens may block some of the light (perhaps, never used one so I don't know)

Hi Daniel...

It depends what you're looking for. Do you want an eye light that actually lights ?? In theory, an eye light should only be reflected in an eye but not actually light the subject. (i think this has also been covered before.)

I own a Litepanel micro (as suggested by david) and these are great if you want an eyelight that fills. It's a larger source. I've also used a rosco litepad for this role too.

If you just want to have an eyelight only, one way that I've found works well is to use a dedo. Using a C stand you can get it right on the optical axis. With a dimmer, looking through the viewfinder, dim it down while you wave your hand in front of it. As soon as you can't see the shadow anymore then you've set the right level. You'll only see it in mids and closer.

jb

#6 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

The one I suggested is very similar to the Litepanels, both of these being not very directional (they're essentially tiny softlights, but not exactly, 'cause they're made of many tiny point sources). They are NOT like fresnels.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

The one I suggested is very similar to the Litepanels, both of these being not very directional (they're essentially tiny softlights, but not exactly, 'cause they're made of many tiny point sources). They are NOT like fresnels.

Litepanels come in both flood and spot configurations. The spot ones are quite directional.

#8 William Coss

William Coss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Dedolight makes the DLHM4-300 tungsten head that has a built in dimmer and plugs directly into AC mains. If you don't want the color temp to shift, add scrims. Combine that with the DP2 projection attachment that has the framing shutters and you can make any width slit needed.
The DPEYE set clamps onto the front of the lens to hold a variety of diffusion densities.

They also make a small daylight head for that type of situation.

Good Luck

Bill

#9 Evan Pierre

Evan Pierre
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Bare lightbulb + heat resistant black paint

works for me

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam