#1 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

I've had some major help from Simon at Cintel International and Sam from Kodak UK to do this test.

The camera a standard BL 16mm Arri with mark one prime lense and a 54mm iscorama anamorphic lens. I wanted to test out Kodaks vision3. The 400' neg was telecined at a full 16mm frame at 1704x1232 resolution, pin registered at Cintel international using their cutting edge diTTo scanner.

For the test I proceeded to get everything wrong Some deliberate some accidental to see how well it could deal with my failings. For more information and the test film.

View on Vimeo

Mark

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

It's not clear to me what you were testing for?

What are the results?

#3 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

It's not clear to me what you were testing for?

What are the results?

Hi Tim

I'm going to be making a high quality short fim soon to compliment my script. Here is the storyboard.

View on Vimeo

My reasons for testing are I wanted to make sure my BL and mag was working okay and the anamorphic lens. Also I wanted to see how the vision 3 stock performed.. I wanted to test my workflow and make sure I was happy with the result.. I wanted to make sure there was no problems with the lenses. Those tests are not in this film. I wanted to see how good the labs were and if I could trust them. Would they be interested in helping me? Well I have to say after some initial disapointment Some people really come through namely Sam from Kodak and Simon from Cintel. I wanted to see what problems might arise.

I can safely say I'm happy to use film knowing there are people who will help me even though I am not a big player. Not everyone will.

The results are I understand more about Vision 3 Its a great stock I'm more confident now in using it and what the diTTo scanner can achieve. I know my camera and lenses are all fully working and I know the process.

I've learn't so much.

With that done I can now move on to other areas regarding production especially budget.

#4 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Here's a frame grab May take a while to load it's 7.91mb This was done with a zeiss mark 1 16mm lens and an anamorphic lens added. Then downsized to 1080 in magic bullets HD

http://yswjya.blu.li.....16mm film.bmp

Edited by Mark Williams, 29 March 2009 - 10:59 AM.

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineTape

CineLab

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Visual Products