#1 Austin Schmidt

Austin Schmidt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, Los Angeles

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

Recently I am running into a lot of household and commercial interiors that have changed their practical lighting system to compact flourescents. Great for the environment but not so good for shooting film. The light doesn't give off a pleasant look and I am wanting to switch the bulbs to regular incandescent medium based bulbs. However the compact flourescents us a 2pin system titled G23. I have looked online for an adapter to no avail. Has anybody figured out a solution for this?

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

However the compact flourescents us a 2pin system titled G23. I have looked online for an adapter to no avail. Has anybody figured out a solution for this?

No. The problem is that these have the electronics built into the fixture, so there's no direct mains power available at the pins. This is environmentally better than the kludgey edison base CFL's, where you have to toss a good electronics package every time the heating filaments in the bulb burn out. The options are to turn them off, or look for high CRI bulbs for them.

-- J.S.

#3 Austin Schmidt

Austin Schmidt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, Los Angeles

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Jon. Unfortunatley I can't find any high CRI bulbs out there that are G23 based. Everything seems to be in the 80-85 CRI range. These bulbs are turning out to be the bane of location practical lighting :)

#4 Richard Andrewski

Richard Andrewski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Shenzhen, China

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Jon. Unfortunatley I can't find any high CRI bulbs out there that are G23 based. Everything seems to be in the 80-85 CRI range. These bulbs are turning out to be the bane of location practical lighting :)

How about some 1/4 to 1/2 minus green gel wrapped around the bulbs as a quick easy fix if you can't find better bulbs in that form factor. The green spike is obviously the problem in CFL bulbs with lower CRI so boosting magenta will cut some light but will also improve the CRI immensely.

Edited by Richard Andrewski, 28 March 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#5 Austin Schmidt

Austin Schmidt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, Los Angeles

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

Thank you Andrew. Good suggestion. Ultimately what I generally want to do is replace or alter the bulbs into a practical par to create pools of light rather then a soft ambient glow. Unfortunately no amount of gel or other alteration will make a fluourescent output the same light quality as a par, hence my main desire to find an adapter to incandescent. Alas, trying to use alchemy to create gold out of basic metal has never proved fruitful. At this point the guys are going to have to run a web of thin two wire across the ceiling and mount the incandescent par bulbs into the recess mountings of the already present compact flouros. Not too costly, just time consuming. But in the end costly all the same-time is money. Thanks to those with suggestions.

#6 Marc Roessler

Marc Roessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

Posted about this some time here..
http://www.cinematog...showtopic=35908

This occured to me as well.. so far tungsten has been anywhere in households: just pop in the T emulsion and shoot.
In the near future you'll have to spend massive amounts of time/effort/money for replacing all those CFLs to make it look good - unless that gritty green is part of the look of your film.

Just keep your eyes open when walking through residential areas at night. It's really interesting how the warm glow behind people's windows increasingly has made room for seemingly cold CFL light. In contrast, when you see tungsten it really seems to pop these days: some night I passed an advertising pillar that was lighted all tungsten. It had a ring around the pillar at the top with 20 Watt halogen spotlights pointed downwards. It was such a nice light quality, I just felt like "WOW... glamour!"...

Greetings,
Marc

Edited by Marc Roessler, 29 March 2009 - 08:12 AM.

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC