3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hi,

I have the full set of Ultra Cons (well, I think it's a full set - 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) as part of a camera test. They seem to work supernaturally well, brightening dark areas of the frame with only comparatively small amounts of flare and glow around highlights. OK; fair enough, they work.

My purpose is to mitigate the limited dynamic range of electronic capture, but I'm concerned that although the strongest #5 filter looks OK by eye and seems to gain me a couple of stops dynamic range for almost free, it can't possibly be that good, really. I'm worried it might end up having unpleasant, unforeseen effects further down the line, and I was therefore intending to use a #2 or #3 grade.

What experiences have people had with these things? Is there a downside other than the inevitable diffusion and glow?

P

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

They're great. Just watch out for direct light hitting the filter because then it milks out in a strange and very visible fashion. So it's not ideal for flarey, sources-in-shot, backlit stuff.

#3 Krzysztof Wlodarczyk

Krzysztof Wlodarczyk

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

I have the full set of Ultra Cons (well, I think it's a full set - 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) as part of a camera test. They seem to work supernaturally well, brightening dark areas of the frame with only comparatively small amounts of flare and glow around highlights. OK; fair enough, they work.

My purpose is to mitigate the limited dynamic range of electronic capture, but I'm concerned that although the strongest #5 filter looks OK by eye and seems to gain me a couple of stops dynamic range for almost free, it can't possibly be that good, really. I'm worried it might end up having unpleasant, unforeseen effects further down the line, and I was therefore intending to use a #2 or #3 grade.

What experiences have people had with these things? Is there a downside other than the inevitable diffusion and glow?

P

Hi Phil,
I also did some test with these filters and was really pleased with the results. I tested UC 1 & 2 on F900R and they were enough for me for exteriors with sky and shade in the frame. I also did a test with a backlight (but not hitting the filter) and it looked OK. I wouldn't say they give me couple of stops but rather 1/3 or maybe 1 (in blacks) but anyway ANYTHING counts in HD in the meaning of contrast;) I am starting a TV series tommorow and I will be trying these out in exteriors. Maybe I will post something more after some experience with them in the field. I haven't noticed much glow (in highlights) - as I did on Low Contrasts. The diffusion is not a problem for me, as most of the DPs want to diffuse digital.
Another filters I was really pleased were Schneider DigiCons - got them from a rental in UK. Really good filters for reducing contrast on HD. When I have the possibility I take them (but almost no rentals have them in stock unfortunatelly).
On all the setups I am using paintbox of course to tweak the desired effect;)

Chris

Edited by Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, 22 September 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#4 Christopher Norin

Christopher Norin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

Okay, a topic re-starter!

I've heard of problems with ultra contrast filters when moving the camera a lot. I haven't tested it myself, but I've been warned of strange artifacts when doing extensive camera moves.

This has me worried sience I'm planning on using it on a few outdoors steadi moves.

Any thoughts?

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Opal