Dan Roberts

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:47 AM

Hi all

I’m currently writing my dissertation on HD production and I am in desperate need of finding a selection of websites that have good info on them about topics such as... the advantages of shooting on HD, HD VS film all that kinda jazz, anything HD production wise would be a great help.

Many thanks
Dan

#2 Ben Briscoe

Ben Briscoe

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hey just wondering if you got anywhere with that, i'm also doing my dissertation and could do with similar information.

#3 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

The advantage to shooting HD.... what you see is what you get. That's the only advantage unless there is no DI and there is a Digital finish, then there is a cost savings. Also it depends if it is theatrical, in which case there is more of a reason for a film out, or if it is for broadcast and is not going to be projected in which case there is no need. Also size and weight means the ability to use smaller tripods and easier to handhold in some cases.

If your dissertation is about the use of HD over film that's the basics, but if its just about the advantages of using HD you can also talk about the cinematic use of digital image capturing has lead to pushing the technology into other areas such as surveillance video, digital photography, telescopic/microscopic imaging, deep sea exploration and medical cameras... (some of these might be a stretch but hey its a dissertation, you have to be bold and make this thing longer than 5 pages or so) Doing a search into the HD section would prove very useful. Also try looking up Dalsa, a company which abandon their making of cinematic cameras and now only does surveillance and the such. I also forget which still camera was used for "Coraline" other than the nikon, but i remember it was a camera that was meant for scientific purposes. Hope that helps with a starting point.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets