Mukti Krishan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

I am a student at a film school in India.The course started only 2months ago and we are expected to make a 3min short film putting into practice the basics we have learnt.Mmy story is about a couple who work different shifts and who plan to take acertain day off to spend time with each other.My plan is to execute this through VO's.
We have had only one class on 3point lighting.Beins just a continuity exercise with location and time limits,I get only the afternoon to shoot this.The location would be one of the classrooms I'd have to transform into a room of a house.Now,my query is how do I create day and night convincingly in that room.We are allowed to use only 2 chinese lamps.
Any ideas about how I could execute this effectively in 4hours?Btw.we are shooting with a sony Z1P.

look forward to all suggestions.

thanks .

#2 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Please use your full name as your user name per the forum rules.

Now,my query is how do I create day and night convincingly in that room.We are allowed to use only 2 chinese lamps.
Any ideas about how I could execute this effectively in 4hours?Btw.we are shooting with a sony Z1P.

If you have enough sunlight coming in through the windows you could use sun as your key and put daylight balanced bulbs in the lamps and use them for fill, maybe place some foamcore boards and bounce the light. If the sunlight is too harsh, a low budget solution is to put tracing paper on the windows to diffuse the light.

For the night aesthetic I would cover the windows (pull the shades and tape / ND / cover with trash bags any areas where light is spilling through) and set the color balance on the camera to make your lamps appear warm.

#3 Mukti Krishan

Mukti Krishan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

There aren't any windows in the room.How then?

Please use your full name as your user name per the forum rules.

If you have enough sunlight coming in through the windows you could use sun as your key and put daylight balanced bulbs in the lamps and use them for fill, maybe place some foamcore boards and bounce the light. If the sunlight is too harsh, a low budget solution is to put tracing paper on the windows to diffuse the light.

For the night aesthetic I would cover the windows (pull the shades and tape / ND / cover with trash bags any areas where light is spilling through) and set the color balance on the camera to make your lamps appear warm.

#4 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

There aren't any windows in the room.How then?

If your professor is making you create a realistic day and night aesthetic with only two china balls in a windowless room, he/she is setting you up for failure, unless you're shooting miniatures - in which case it's totally feasible.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:03 AM

Do you have to shoot in the classroom? Either choose a new location that works for the story, or change the story to work with the location that you have. That's really all you can do if you don't have any time, budget, or equipment. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

CineTape

Technodolly