#1 Trent Babbington

Trent Babbington

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hey everyone, great forum here! I had a quick question that will probably get a DUH response to some degree, but I was wondering if the stills shown below are lit with HMI lights or tungsten (or Kinos!)...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

They are from Rihanna's "SOS" music video from 2006. It's a very common look, and this video is a good example of it (the whole thing is lit this way). It obviously looks like they just hit her with a big key light, and that harsh sheen she has on her skin (with that color temperature) seems unique to a certain type of light. I know I've seen it on set, but I forget what they lit it with. Thanks for your help! :)

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

There is nothing here that I can see that would suggest they used HMI's. One could convincingly shoot what you have shown with either HMI's or Tungsten. Or a mix of both. The spot light could be an HMI spotlight with full CTO or it could even be a Mac 2000. And the rest could be tungsten. Tungsten with a bit of CTB could give it a cooler look.

And then they could have aimed to keep things white and tweaked it in the transfer to give it a certain look that they didn't think of while shooting. There are plenty of colorist who might say don't do anything in camera and let us do the correction in post.

Do you know who shot it or who the gaffer was? One could probably just ask them.

Best

Tim

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS