#1 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Hi,

When you use a light meter outdoors and you do an incident reading, should you point it at the sun or towards the camera or anywhere you want as long as the light meter isn't pointed at the subject and is in the same light as the subject? And also what is the difference between these 3 ways?

Also what is the dynamic range of Kodak Vision 1, Vision 2 and Vision 3. How many stops above and how many stops under?

And finally, what color is the blackbody when it is at 3200K?

I know these things are quite simple but they are still a bit confusing to me. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks a million.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi,

When you use a light meter outdoors and you do an incident reading, should you point it at the sun or towards the camera or anywhere you want as long as the light meter isn't pointed at the subject and is in the same light as the subject? And also what is the difference between these 3 ways?

Also what is the dynamic range of Kodak Vision 1, Vision 2 and Vision 3. How many stops above and how many stops under?

And finally, what color is the blackbody when it is at 3200K?

I know these things are quite simple but they are still a bit confusing to me. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks a million.

You can use an incident meter for a lot of things so the answer to that is, kind of, "yes." If you want the simplest form of metering to determine a more or less correct exposure, you meter at the position of the subject with the bulb facing the camera. Other readings such as directly toward the sun, one toward camera with the keylight shaded off, etc. can help you to inform your decisions about lighting and exposure.

I'll assume you mean the 500T films of those lines. I've never shot Vision 1. Vision 2 is somewhere in the realm of 5 under to 7 over for blacks and whites without detail. Vision 3 is a little more than Vision 2. As always, do tests, if possible. These numbers are determined under perfect lab conditions and your lighting, preferences, etc. will tend to alter your working latitude with any film.

That theoretical blackbody at 3200K is the same color as a tungsten lamp filament which is emitting 3200K light.;)

Visual Products

The Slider

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post