New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other
  • California, USA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hey all,

I am planning to shoot a music video in a backyard at night. Since I am a student and have very limited crew/equipment, I do not have access to HMIs and am shooting on a 16mm Bolex using Kodak Vision2 500T or 200T.

My lighting equipment is limited to 6 china balls with florescents burning at 2700k and most probably Arri Kits with 2 x 1k, 2 x 650 and 2 x 350. The backyard isn't very big so I am planning on using the china balls to softly illuminate the audience while using the Arri's to put some light onto the stage, keeping the main singer 1-2 stops hotter than everyone else. The song is jazzy, and the director wants the look to be orangey and warm.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or comments on how well this will work. I know that blue is always used for night exteriors but since this is a music video, I was wondering if I can get away without it? My only problem is I don't want the warm tungsten lighting to seem unnatural without the moonlight. I read in another post that sometimes ungelled tungsten puts out a neutral white light that can sometimes read as moonlight on tungsten stock?

I am also probably going to need to minusgreen the florescents and add some CTO to the Arri's to bring them closer in color temp. to florescents. We do not have the budget/time to do tests on film stocks, has anyone used Vision2 successfully for this kind of thing?

I appreciate everybody's comments and suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Yashad Kulkarni

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

You don't need HMI's to make moonlight. You can use HMI's or tungsten with gel. You can use any type of CTB color correction or a bluish color effect gel.

But some of it will depend on where you choose your white light to be. If you shoot a chip chart under the fluorescent 2700, your 3200 degree lights will look slightly cool. Or if you shoot a chip chart and choose the 3200 degree lights as white, then the florescent will be slightly warm.

Technically it doesn't really matter. The creative choices are yours to make.

best

Tim

#3 George Leon

George Leon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, CA USA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hey all,

I am planning to shoot a music video in a backyard at night. Since I am a student and have very limited crew/equipment, I do not have access to HMIs and am shooting on a 16mm Bolex using Kodak Vision2 500T or 200T.

My lighting equipment is limited to 6 china balls with florescents burning at 2700k and most probably Arri Kits with 2 x 1k, 2 x 650 and 2 x 350. The backyard isn't very big so I am planning on using the china balls to softly illuminate the audience while using the Arri's to put some light onto the stage, I will recommend also to keeping the main singer 1-2 stops hotter than everyone else. The song is jazzy, and the director wants the look to be orangey and warm.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or comments on how well this will work. I know that blue is always used for night exteriors but since this is a music video, I was wondering if I can get away without it? My only problem is I don't want the warm tungsten lighting to seem unnatural without the moonlight. I read in another post that sometimes ungelled tungsten puts out a neutral white light that can sometimes read as moonlight on tungsten stock
I am also probably going to need to minusgreen the florescents and add some CTO to the Arri's to bring them closer in color temp. to florescents. We do not have the budget/time to do tests on film stocks, has anyone used Vision2 successfully for this kind of thing?

I appreciate everybody's comments and suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Yashad Kulkarni

Hi Yashad:
HMI's are daylight sources, meaning K5600. Hydrargyrum Medium-arc Iodide, is a metal-halide HID high intensity gas discharge medium arc-length lamp, They are ballasted sources with high output.

I use HMI's ONLY to illuminate daylight scenes on daylight, (funny eh!) or exterior thru interior (window). Also, HMI's are the most expensive and reticent luminaires to use. You need power, I also recommend an experienced gaffer, maybe a generator or a separate 120V 10 amp circuit source per fixture of juice from your house, so you won't black out your neighboorhood!

You said your are shooting with Vision2 200T or 500T - and your lighting kit is a 3200K Frenel kit
with 2 1k', 2 650wtts and 2 300Wtts. It is pretty good for key fill and kickers,just distributed it
accordingly-make a lighting plot- ahead of time so you won't be guessing placement and juice sourcing. You have here more than 1250 Watts of Output powers. Plenty light to make people dance.

Your fixtures match your film stock temperature, so your color will be crisp with natural skin
tones. NO warming here. Just normal skin tone colors from Kodak.

To warm your scene without affecting skin tone too much use Lee Bastard Amber 162/774/009 1/4+/-or the warming gel of your choice. These Amber or Straw CT gels render a beautiful subtle color to the scene.

I will advise you to use One 1k as your moonlight. Bounce it high above in a foam core or butterfly
and gel it with CTB and color blue gel until you get a subtle moonlight like color. My moonlights are white, rather warm. I do not subscribe to blue nights. Have you ever seen a blue night. Only in
movies!
I will advise you also to use the China Balls as practicals/atmosphere illumination only. Unless you change the 2700K flourescents to incandescents 200watts G&E or You can buy CFL flourescents bulbs rated daylight G&E 5600K at home Depot G for few dollars. At any rate consider the china balls as practicals and ambient/crowd illumination. Forget about that minus green stuff you said. It is unconsequential-

Use the rest of the Lighting Kit accordingly as your lighting plot suggests to illuminate your artist and scene. Bounce some fixtures for fill light and other use other fixtures shine straight in a high stand for key and kickers
See you in MTV or VH 1!

#4 ymkulkarni

ymkulkarni

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other
  • California, USA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:39 AM

Hi Yashad:
HMI's are daylight sources, meaning K5600. Hydrargyrum Medium-arc Iodide, is a metal-halide HID high intensity gas discharge medium arc-length lamp, They are ballasted sources with high output.

I use HMI's ONLY to illuminate daylight scenes on daylight, (funny eh!) or exterior thru interior (window). Also, HMI's are the most expensive and reticent luminaires to use. You need power, I also recommend an experienced gaffer, maybe a generator or a separate 120V 10 amp circuit source per fixture of juice from your house, so you won't black out your neighboorhood!

You said your are shooting with Vision2 200T or 500T - and your lighting kit is a 3200K Frenel kit
with 2 1k', 2 650wtts and 2 300Wtts. It is pretty good for key fill and kickers,just distributed it
accordingly-make a lighting plot- ahead of time so you won't be guessing placement and juice sourcing. You have here more than 1250 Watts of Output powers. Plenty light to make people dance.

Your fixtures match your film stock temperature, so your color will be crisp with natural skin
tones. NO warming here. Just normal skin tone colors from Kodak.

To warm your scene without affecting skin tone too much use Lee Bastard Amber 162/774/009 1/4+/-or the warming gel of your choice. These Amber or Straw CT gels render a beautiful subtle color to the scene.

I will advise you to use One 1k as your moonlight. Bounce it high above in a foam core or butterfly
and gel it with CTB and color blue gel until you get a subtle moonlight like color. My moonlights are white, rather warm. I do not subscribe to blue nights. Have you ever seen a blue night. Only in
movies!
I will advise you also to use the China Balls as practicals/atmosphere illumination only. Unless you change the 2700K flourescents to incandescents 200watts G&E or You can buy CFL flourescents bulbs rated daylight G&E 5600K at home Depot G for few dollars. At any rate consider the china balls as practicals and ambient/crowd illumination. Forget about that minus green stuff you said. It is unconsequential-

Use the rest of the Lighting Kit accordingly as your lighting plot suggests to illuminate your artist and scene. Bounce some fixtures for fill light and other use other fixtures shine straight in a high stand for key and kickers
See you in MTV or VH 1!

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Visual Products