2 replies to this topic

#1 Colin Malone

Colin Malone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

So anyone know how Khondji ahieved the look of My Blueberry Nights, the Wong Kar Wai film? The grain was immense and beautiful. The scenes seemed to be shot very close with telephoto lenses and available lights. But that grain and those blacks? Perhaps it was just my first time seeing a print of Khondji's work, but did he ENR this as his earlier work on Seven and Delicatessen? How did he get that grain, and is this the end of Doyle's collaboration with WKW?

#2 anthony le grand

anthony le grand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Director
  • france

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

So anyone know how Khondji ahieved the look of My Blueberry Nights, the Wong Kar Wai film? The grain was immense and beautiful. The scenes seemed to be shot very close with telephoto lenses and available lights. But that grain and those blacks? Perhaps it was just my first time seeing a print of Khondji's work, but did he ENR this as his earlier work on Seven and Delicatessen? How did he get that grain, and is this the end of Doyle's collaboration with WKW?

Khondji shot with fuji eterna, which is a bit grainy naturally. I suppose they pushed the film for the int. night scenes and lit mostly with practical, giving those deep blacks and this large grain. It's just a guess but Doyle used push processing a lot with WKW before so...
I like the grain of the fuji stocks, it can be really nice. So fuji stocks and push processing are certainly the cause of this it. As well, I like large grain like that, especially what Kubrick did for Eyes Wide Shut & Barry Lyndon, pushed with kodak stocks or The Brown Bunny by V. Gallo shot in 16mm.

Those night scenes in My blueberry nights were really beautiful. But those by day were too saturated for me, especially the very blue sky.

They also did a DI, certainly to match the saturation between everything. But as you can do almost everything with a DI, there's a lot of possibilities, also concerning the blacks you liked in the movie..

Don't know if it's the end of their collaboration. But after 2046, Doyle said that WKW was always doing the same movie so maybe he wasn't interesting by doing My blueberry nights...

#3 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

"Available light?" Well, the lights are available for rental at Camera Service Center :D . For the cafe scenes, the lighting plan was to use four muslin-balls, but this "evolved" into a grid with lots of lights and flags. A lot of the look was achieved with production design. They brought in glass cases, and mirrors, and glass cake trays to shoot through, or use as foreground elements. (As well as the pies and blue-frosted cupcakes) The camera scenic was constantly shifting the window lettering to suit the given shot. Any time we saw the street it was given a wet down.

I remember thinking that if the master zoom and the O'Conner fluid head were good enough for DK, then they would be good enough for me.

Edited by Jon Rosenbloom, 08 April 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

CineLab