Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi,

I shot something in HD, and when outputting it to NTSC, I get a lot of jaggies. Is this normal for an NTSC downres?

I've uploaded snapshots to flickr. Here's the original: Posted Image

and here's the converted:Posted Image

The rails on the porch show it the best (worst?). Any suggestions on how to minimize the artifacts?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hi,

What you're seeing isn't normal.

However, I could do with a bit more information - what hardware and software are you using? Your first still isn't at HD resolution, so I can't be absolutely sure what's going on.

That said, even given the low res preview stills, it's clear what's happening - it's being downsized to create a 720x480 anamorphic widescreen NTSC frame, and the algorithm that's doing the downsizing isn't making a very good job of it. This is like rescaling an image in Photoshop with the "nearest neighbor" resampling selected.

Somewhere in your software there ought to be an option for this, although frankly these days it's unusual for anything to be quite as bad as that is. If you're doing it in some piece of hardware, then, crikey, you have a cheap and nasty downscaler in it.

P

#3 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

Hi,

What you're seeing isn't normal.

However, I could do with a bit more information - what hardware and software are you using? Your first still isn't at HD resolution, so I can't be absolutely sure what's going on.

Oh, sorry, I should have provided that info up front. The footage was captured on a Sony EX1, 1080-30p, edited at full resolution on a Macbook Pro using Final Cut 6.0.5. The NTSC version was created using FCP's export to Quicktime Movie, and selecting Custom settings: Aspect ratio: hdtv720p... and, uh, that'll be the problem, I bet.

Yep, I just re-exported using Quicktime Conversion and settings much closer to NTSC, and it's MUCH better now:
Posted Image

Thanks for forcing me to review the settings (which I should've done before I started this thread. I'll get me hat.)

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

Why wouldn't you just export uncompressed 8 bit for your SD? it would be the highest quality of anything. it's my normal EX1 work flow for when I go to strike DVDs etc.

#5 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Why wouldn't you just export uncompressed 8 bit for your SD? it would be the highest quality of anything. it's my normal EX1 work flow for when I go to strike DVDs etc.

See, that's why you get paid the big bucks! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll experiment with that.

--
Jim

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

What big bucks? :huh:

Good luck, and be careful, the file sizes will be substantially larger than normal.

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Opal