New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hi Everyone!
I'm new in this forum. About me: I just started career as independent documentary filmmaker and planning to buy a good camera. I was advised to purchase Panasonic DVX100 for starters and then buy something better upon experience. There's another option - Sony HVR-V1E, which is more expensive. Could anyone give advice which camera would be good enough to make proper film? Of course some camera for $5000 or more would be better, but I cannot afford much spending.
Your professional advice will be much appreciated.

#2 Jacob C Ross

Jacob C Ross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

I think a DVX100/a/b would suit you well. There have been MANY award winning films shot on this camera. If you want to go the HD route then the Canon HV20/HV30 might interest you, although it doesn't have nearly the amount of control that the DVX will have. The Canon XHA1 (if you can find a used one) might be something to look at, as would a used HVX200.

But if you are just getting started, a DVX100 would serve you well IMHO. It's the camera most indep. filmmakers cut their teeth on.

Check out a documentary called "Iraq In Fragments".. it was an academy award nominated documentary that won a ton of film festival awards, including an award at Sundance for best cinematography. Shot on the DVX100a.

#3 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

The DVX-100 is more than good enough to make a proper film, and there are likely to be good deals on used ones these days. The little Sony would work for you as well, although the comparison is a little bit apples and oranges - i.e. not quite a direct comparison since one is a DV format and the other is HDV. For just starting out, I'd vote for the DVX-100 as well. Take the money you save over the Sony and invest it in decent audio equipment. Your documentaries will be better off for the investment.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

Let us not forget lighting/tripod!

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineLab

CineTape