3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

Just caught Legends of the Fall right now, and I was wondering-- just how did Toll get those great saturated colors... was it a film stock that no longer exists?

Anyone have information on this great looking movie?-- I've been disppointed lately in how color films look these days and this one was perfect, I thought-- I don't have access to the AC for that month and was wondering if anyone had some insights here.

#2 Gautam Valluri

Gautam Valluri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • Surbiton, United Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

Just caught Legends of the Fall right now, and I was wondering-- just how did Toll get those great saturated colors... was it a film stock that no longer exists?

Anyone have information on this great looking movie?-- I've been disppointed lately in how color films look these days and this one was perfect, I thought-- I don't have access to the AC for that month and was wondering if anyone had some insights here.

Hi Jim- I agree with you on the epic saturated colours of Legends of the Fall. It was really something wasn't it?

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

I believe it was shot on 5247 and EXR 500T 5296, but I don't recall any unusual level of saturation in the prints. Those stocks had a nice contrast to them though.

I wouldn't judge saturation levels of film stocks by how something looks on home video.

#4 Michael B McGee

Michael B McGee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, CA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

I just checked on IMDB, but it the film stock wasn't listed. i think sometimes they are, but i'm not sure. for future reference click on the link to "Technical Specs" on the left hand side of a film under Other Info. John also has a commentary track on the dvd.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS