Jonathan Burton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Yes, its another show reel, but i would love some feedback :lol:

[url="http://%20<a%20href="http://vimeo.com/4073088"%20target="_blank">"] [/url]

Edited by Jonathan Burton, 09 April 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#2 Kirsty Stark

Kirsty Stark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Adelaide, Australia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hey Jonathan,

You've got some great shots in your showreel, but I think it could be a lot tighter. A lot of your shots are very similar to each other, and you repeat a lot from the same films. Once you've shown you can do something, you don't need to show it again. There are only two shots in the first 1:30 of your showreel, and they're both part of the same sequence. Choose one of them, cut it down to the essential part of the shot (maybe when the guy starts to sit up in the second shot) and use it for a strong opening. Then show what else you can do. Go through every shot in your reel individually and ask yourself whether you're particularly proud of that specific shot. If not, take it out. It's better to have a 2 minute reel that shows your absolute best work, than a 4:50 reel that is repetitive or has some good rather than great shots. I really like the stuff in the carpark and the shed, and would move those shots a lot further forward. Just my two cents.

Good luck!

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

Jonathan, Kirsty made some very good comments. Cut it down to 3 minutes. Don't linger on certain shots. Just show the money. A good example is the perfume shot. You see the perfume being sprayed and the guy smelling it, which is great but when you cut back to the guy again, we see the guy doing nothing. You could lose the second shot and not miss anything. The opening is too long. The first shot is nice but goes on too long. You can cut where you wipe the last post. Only show the best and people will think that's all you shoot. Cut out any jerky camera movement. You have too much of the doritos commercial. The dolly shot leading to the cop is long. You need to trim it up. I would lose the interior of the guy in the chair of the girl with the harp movie. It's flat and you have much better interior shots than that. The shot that starts in almost black and you circle around the guy with the red jacket needs to be trimmed. Honestly you had some really nice shots in there and some not so good. Just show the good. Short and sweet. Also the Forest Gump shot was nice and the second shot of him jumping didn't really grab me. Just use the parts of shot with some action or movement. Eyes opening, heads turning, cars passing, etc.

Edited by Tom Jensen, 09 April 2009 - 10:48 PM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Opal

CineLab

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks