#1 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

Would anyone know where I can get this stock developed using VNF-1? I understand that some labs use E-6 to develop this. Alpha Cine Labs wrote me the following:

We can process 7250, but it is not a normal process. At this time, no one that we know of is mixing the VNF chemicals to process 7250 normally. Instead, we process the VNF film in the new E6 chemicals. This is standard practice for the labs that I know that say they will process VNF film. Processing in E6 acts like a push processing of 2 - 5 stops and the film turns very purple and red. It isn't a problem for us to process the film, but you should know about the outcome.

If anyone knows of a lab using VNF-1 I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'd like to ask if anyone has had any VNF-1 stock developed under the E-6 formula and what their results were.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a total newb to 16mm.

Thank you
Art

#2 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Would anyone know where I can get this stock developed using VNF-1? I understand that some labs use E-6 to develop this. Alpha Cine Labs wrote me the following:

We can process 7250, but it is not a normal process. At this time, no one that we know of is mixing the VNF chemicals to process 7250 normally. Instead, we process the VNF film in the new E6 chemicals. This is standard practice for the labs that I know that say they will process VNF film. Processing in E6 acts like a push processing of 2 - 5 stops and the film turns very purple and red. It isn't a problem for us to process the film, but you should know about the outcome.

If anyone knows of a lab using VNF-1 I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'd like to ask if anyone has had any VNF-1 stock developed under the E-6 formula and what their results were.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a total newb to 16mm.

Thank you
Art

Hi Art,
ask Pac Lab. That said, I have processed lots of vnf in e6. I find the 7240 gives very acceptable results in straight e6, but I find that the faster 7250 never does. Myself, I put this down to the faster stock showing more signs of age. If you haven't purchased 7250 yet, I wouldn't. It is a really really grainy stock anyway. Stick to 7240 and have it processed in E6. Note that a lot will depend on how the film has been stored.
cheers,
richard

#3 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi Art,
ask Pac Lab. That said, I have processed lots of vnf in e6. I find the 7240 gives very acceptable results in straight e6, but I find that the faster 7250 never does. Myself, I put this down to the faster stock showing more signs of age. If you haven't purchased 7250 yet, I wouldn't. It is a really really grainy stock anyway. Stick to 7240 and have it processed in E6. Note that a lot will depend on how the film has been stored.
cheers,
richard

Hi Richard:
I had spoken to Pac Lab earlier and they told me they do process this stock using E-6 for $25 a roll. They also mention the film gets pulled. Didn't ask them how many stops but I'll call them again to find out more.

Unfortunately I got my hands on a two rolls of 7250, so I'll shoot them and see the results. No high expectations here.

Many thanks again for the help!

Art

#4 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

Would anyone know where I can get this stock developed using VNF-1? I understand that some labs use E-6 to develop this.

I don't know what exclusive film in toronto is using these days.. They probably have the capability to mox it but they may have hybridised the process.

http://www.exclusive...processing.html

#5 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

I don't know what exclusive film in toronto is using these days.. They probably have the capability to mox it but they may have hybridised the process.

http://www.exclusive...processing.html

Thanks Charles. Exclusive does handles it. They emailed me the following info:

Hi Art:
>
> Thanks for your email. We also process 7250 using E-6 processing. We used
> the old VNF chemicals for as long as they were available, but they no
> longer are.
>
> I asked about the comments from Alpha Cine Lab and we have not had
> the results they talk about. The film is just slightly pushed (because the
> E-6 process runs slower than the old VNF) but not 2-5 stops. Also, the
> colour seems fine. We haven't seen the red/purple problem either.
>
> The charge for processing is $.33/ft. and we process every weekday.
> Shipping and tax are additional, and you can pay by Visa, Mastercard,
> cheque or money order.
>
> If you have any other questions, please let us know.
>

Opal

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Glidecam