No replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Sobey

Andrew Sobey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Steadicam Merlin? I'm thinking about getting one for a shoot I have coming up, using the new Canon Rebel T1i (500D). I'm wondering if I'll have problems with extra wide lenses. I haven't actually got my hands on a Merlin yet, so I'm not sure if the camera can be shoved all the way to the front of the support plate and still be balanced, so I don't get the support in the bottom of the shot. If anyone who has experience using the Merlin with a D90 or 5D Mark 2, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, it looks like the rig might be small enough to use inside a car, but I'd hate to plan on that and then have it be too big and unwieldy. I'm thinking of the full setup, Merlin + vest and arm. Any insight?

I don't live in a place where I can easily see a demo, so anyone who has used the Merlin or similar small Steadicam rigs, I'd appreciate any helpful info/tips/tricks. And is there any way to undersling the camera with one of these? It doesn't really look like it's doable from the photos I've seen online, but that would be a very cool feature if it's possible.

Thanks.

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies