#1 Engin Torker

Engin Torker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hello,
We have an Arri 16-BL and an Angenieux 9.5-95 zoom which has that big housing for sound. Isn't there any possibility that I can mount a PL mount lens on the camera with some adapter? The sound is no problem. Thanks.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hello,
We have an Arri 16-BL and an Angenieux 9.5-95 zoom which has that big housing for sound. Isn't there any possibility that I can mount a PL mount lens on the camera with some adapter? The sound is no problem. Thanks.

You can only adapt the bayonet mount to the PL mount, not the other way. The only way would be to convert the camera itself to a PL mount, which may or may not be possible on a 16BL although I doubt that you could actaully operate the PL locking ring inside the camera blimp. Regardless, this would hardly be a cost effective exercise and you'd still want to use the blimped lens with the bayonet mount on the camera.

Best rent a PL mount camera if you need to use this PL lens.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 15 April 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hello,

Yes, you can manufacture a riser plate to adapt the sliding base plate. You can now use iris rods and a long lens with a bridge support. You can't however use primes with no support because of the rubber shock mount on the 16BL. Dick Cavdek who once worked at Otto Nemenz made mine. This might be his number 8185625700 Maybe Bob Ochwatt can as well. He is on Vose in North Hollywood. Ochwatt Tooling is the company name.

While a 16bl is heavy, it is very easy to use on a Steadicam if you have an eyepiece videotap for the Steadicam monitor.

Edited by Tom Jensen, 15 April 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Yes, you can manufacture a riser plate to adapt the sliding base plate. You can now use iris rods and a long lens with a bridge support. You can't however use primes with no support because of the rubber shock mount on the 16BL. Dick Cavdek who once worked at Otto Nemenz made mine. This might be his number 8185625700 Maybe Bob Ochwatt can as well. He is on Vose in North Hollywood. Ochwatt Tooling is the company name.

I'm not sure how you plan to mount a PL mount lens using a riser plate and a sliding base plate on a bayonet mount camera.

#5 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

I'm not sure how you plan to mount a PL mount lens using a riser plate and a sliding base plate on a bayonet mount camera.

You are exactly right. I had another brain fart. However with the longer lenses like Nikon and Canon you can just switch the mounts on the lens. My bad. Again. This is what happens when you've been put out to pasture.

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

However with the longer lenses like Nikon and Canon you can just switch the mounts on the lens.

True, worth checking out if the need is for a telephoto lens.

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

All three Arri mounts (Original, steel bayonet, and PL) have the same flange focal distance, 52mm. PL has a larger diameter, 54mm compared with 41mm for the earlier two.

So, it might be possible to make an adapter to put older lenses on PL cameras, though some lenses may have rings too big around too close to the camera to fit. There's also not a whole bunch of room there to make a latch mechanism for the old type lenses. A fixed adapter on each lens may be the way to do it.

Going the other way, the larger PL flange would have to touch the surface of the old style mount on the camera, because they're both 52mm. There's no room for any metal at all to make an adapter that goes into the old camera mount. The only practical idea would be to put a new PL hard front on the camera. Doing that with the 16 BL lens blimp could be tricky. Holding the PL lens by some other means and just shoving it hard against the front of the bayonet camera would have significant accuracy issues, especially on the rubber mounted 16 BL. Noise would also be a problem.

Bottom line, it's better to use lenses that were made for the BL on the BL, and the PL lenses on PL cameras.

-- J.S.

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider