4 replies to this topic

#1 Will von Tagen

Will von Tagen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

A friend of mine is offering me some 7279, which he has kept in the deep freeze since he purchased it. Can this still be processed? Or does Vision call for different chemicals that are no longer used?

Thanks a bunch

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Sure can. ECN-2, the standardized color negative development process has been around, if I recall correctly, since the early-to-mid 1970s.

And what do you mean Vision isn't around anymore? Vision2 and Vision3 stocks dominate the market these days. All the numbers are really are a lot of hype, a little bit of science, and an excuse to raise film prices. ;)

Hope this helps! Film processing will be no trouble for you to find. What you need to worry about is age fog on 16mm's grainiest (then 2nd-grainiest) stock. . .

You may have to rate a stop or more slower than normal in order to attain good exposure over what could be significant age fog.

#3 Will von Tagen

Will von Tagen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Huh, I had heard 3 was a hyped up 2, but I didn't think it was the same for 2 and on down. Great, thanks! Would you stil anticipate the fog even after the proper storage?

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Define proper.

You can moderately prevent fog with standard refrigeration below 55°F/13°C.

Freezing does a much better job, but even at 32°F/0°C a high speed stock like '79, at 500ASA/28DIN is going to be subject to radiation fog due to the ambient background radiation from outer space. Unless you have a late batch of '79 (when'd they stop making it, in '04?) you're certainly going to have some degree of fog.

The only way there would have been to prevent that would be storing under a 1-foot thick (30cm) lead shield, which obvioulsy only big corporations, like Kodak, can do.

So, yeah, I'd say even going 2 years out of date with something equivalent speed of 500T, I think either frozen or maybe just refrigerated, you could definitely see an increased base fog level.

Your results may vary though.

Hope this helps.

And, yeah, to some extent you are right that Double-electron sensitization only came out with the Vision2 line. At the same time, the Vision line was probably a far bigger jump over EXR than Vision2 was over the original Vision line. EXR stuff on the high-speed stocks I've seen looks GRAINY, even on SD TV!

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

(A) high speed stock like '79, at 500ASA/28DIN is going to be subject to radiation fog due to the ambient background radiation from outer space.

If your lab is asked nicely, and is sure you will be using their services, , most of them will be happy to run a clip test where they take about 5-10 feet off one roll and process it, measure the fog and give you some idea if the film is useable.

IF you have several rolls, you should try to get one from each emmusion number checked.

Abel Cine

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

CineTape

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC