Ben Holmes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi,
I am a student filmmaker and just purchased an Arriflex ST full kit for 1600 US. I bought it off ebay thinking it was a good deal because I got confused with the SR... But think it was an ok choice anyway. Does anyone know somewhere in Melbourne I can get it serviced (It hasn't arrived yet but I know it will need one)? Also, would have an Arriflex BL kit have been a better choice for a little more money?

The ST is in great condition and comes with a load of ND's and filters-

http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

I intend to make short and feature films.

Thanks,

Ben

#2 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:04 AM

I'm certainly not an expert in such matters, but the ST is a MOS camera that is too noisy to record sync. sound unless special precautions are taken (eg. only film outdoors with the camera situated half a mile from the microphone! ;) ). The BL is a self blimped camera designed to be quiet enough to record sync sound. Neither of the cameras generally come with a crystal synced motor as standard.

Neither of the cameras can be converted to super-16.

The BL only uses 400ft magazines, the ST can use 100ft internal spools or the optional external 400ft magazine.

The camera you've bought comes with an Angenieux 12-120 zoom, a lens that is also often in the lens blimp of the BL, so the image quality from your camera and a BL is going to be comparible, nothing stopping you using different lenses on either camera though.

It depends very much on the type of films you intend to make as to which camera would be best suited.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Ben,

The Arriflex 16St is an MOS camera, but on the plus side, from the pictures of the auction it looks like yours in an Arriflex 16S/B, which has the one stainless steel bayonet mount. That allows you to use much newer lenses with the ARRI bayonet mount, newer/better lenses = better picture quality.

You can find out lots of information on the camera at the web site below:

www.Arri16S.com

Using a blimp makes the camera very quiet, though blimps are fairly rare. You can buy a barney from a company here in the states called Custom Upholstery Products, and use noise reduction software, which helps. You can read all about the options on the web site.

Congrats on your new camera. Sorry I don't know anyone who services them in Australia.

Best,
-Tim

#4 Ben Holmes

Ben Holmes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. You're right, I have shot a film on the ST before and it was relatively noisy, but we weren't using sync sound. I may follow your advice Tim, if it is a problem for a certain film. And thanks Tim for pointing out it could be/is a S/B... That would widen my lens choices for when I want to go feature perhaps. Also, I believe I have found a Melbourne company who say they can convert Arri S to super 16?? Not that I really want too, but they may also give it a service... http://www.design.arandafilm.com.au/

I'll give them a buzz. Thanks so much!

Ben

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. You're right, I have shot a film on the ST before and it was relatively noisy, but we weren't using sync sound. I may follow your advice Tim, if it is a problem for a certain film. And thanks Tim for pointing out it could be/is a S/B... That would widen my lens choices for when I want to go feature perhaps. Also, I believe I have found a Melbourne company who say they can convert Arri S to super 16?? Not that I really want too, but they may also give it a service... http://www.design.arandafilm.com.au/

I'll give them a buzz. Thanks so much!

Ben

I would recommend caution when considering converting an Arriflex 16S to Super 16. Search the archives of this site and you will find a lengthy discussion about the topic and a fair amount of detail as to why it is not a good option for the Arriflex 16S.

Converting Arriflex 16BL or Arriflex 16S to Super 16

Best,
-Tim

#6 Ben Holmes

Ben Holmes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

I would recommend caution when considering converting an Arriflex 16S to Super 16. Search the archives of this site and you will find a lengthy discussion about the topic and a fair amount of detail as to why it is not a good option for the Arriflex 16S.

Converting Arriflex 16BL or Arriflex 16S to Super 16

Best,
-Tim

Tim,

I doubt I would even have tried... as well as it being pricey. Anyways, I like 4:3 xD Why on earth would you buy an arri s and have it converted??! ...I'll still ring them for a quote on a service.

Thanks for your help!

#7 Ben Holmes

Ben Holmes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

I am now selling this equipment... It exceeded my expectations, but unfortunately I cannot afford to make films with it!

I am selling it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com....E:L:LCA:AU:1123

#8 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

I am now selling this equipment... It exceeded my expectations, but unfortunately I cannot afford to make films with it!

I am selling it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com....E:L:LCA:AU:1123

is that because you cant afford the 16mm filmstock?

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Opal