#1 Andrew Aiello

Andrew Aiello

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

I am prepping a short film I am hoping to shoot on the Panasonic Varicam2700. At first I wanted to get the Digizooms, but am not sure if they're within our budget. I wanted to know people's takes on good HD zoom lenses. I need something pretty fast as there is a fair amount of night exteriors, something compatible with matte boxes and follow focuses, a sharp lens with good contrast, and I don't mind about flaring.

Thanks

#2 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:07 AM

The Fujinon 10-100 is excellent, and a T1.8 if I remember correctly. On the wide end I've also been very happy with the Canon 4.5-52 as a coverage lens- shot a whole short with it exclusively and it performed very well in all sorts of interior and exterior situations.

#3 Lenny Manfred

Lenny Manfred

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

the 10-100 is fantastic, but as expensive or more than the digizooms, so i would instead recommend the fujinon 15x7.3 cine style lens. it has a constant 2.0 aperture the whole length of the range. the canon 21x is also good, but it ramps at the long end. some people say they rather have the extra reach of the 21x, that they can live with the ramping in the long end, but i prefer to work with a lens that is at its best the whole range. if i need to go in tighter, i can just dolly in, and not be tempted to be lazy and compromise the quality of the image. the fuji is just flawless on it's limited range.

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Opal