• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryan K

Ryan K
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

I've been wondering about this for a while - for those of us who don't get to shoot film that often but want to develop an 'eye' for particular stocks, are there any stills stocks which might closely match the characteristics of regularly used motion picture stock?

For instance, if I wanted to develop an eye for, say, 5218, is there a kodak stills stock which I could practice on that would give me roughly the same look? Obviously there's a lot of stocks about but are there any reliable correlations to be drawn?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

For instance, if I wanted to develop an eye for, say, 5218, is there a kodak stills stock which I could practice on that would give me roughly the same look? Obviously there's a lot of stocks about but are there any reliable correlations to be drawn?

at one time there weere a few labs that made a business of making slides by using motion picture stocks and printing them on motion picture print film. unfortunatly they have mostly disaperared.

This was great for such tests as you should get a short endof the film you wanted to try and get 36 slides out of 5 and a half ft of film.

even of a print film DID have "compatible characheritics" sine you would be looking at a print it would proably tell you little.

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

CineTape