Mixed Lighting on Vision 3 500T

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Lasher

John Lasher
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

Not really sure where to put this

I'm planning a shoot for June, wherein I plan to photograph an actress indoors against windows revealing the outside.

I plan to shoot on 7219, with my Bolex, at 64fps (later TC-ing the footage at 18fps for a super slow motion effect). I'm planning to light the interior with 4x250w Halogen worklights for a 1:1 ratio, and I'm concerned about the color temperature in the mixed lighting.

The room has 2 sets of windows, one facing east and the other facing west. I plan to shoot the actress with the eastward facing windows behind her. The shoot is scheduled to take place from about 1-3 PM and unfortunately, at that time of day, there doesn't seem to be enough light coming through the west-facing windows to get a decent reading, even on 500. So I'm planning to close the blinds over the west-facing windows and just eliminate them as a light source.

So... as I understand it I have tungsten Key and Fill (the halogens), and daylight backlight. Is this more-or-less correct? I'm OK with the exterior through the windows looking a little on the blue side, I'm concerned it may be too blue so as to overpower the actress in the foreground (think solid-blue, cartoonish colors seen on DVDs of lo/no budget films from the late '90s/early 2000s). I don't really have any desirable way of covering the windows, the only filter I have is an 85 and lighting with anything more expensive than the worklights would kill the budget (the 7219 is already stretching it).

Can anyone give me any advice?

What should I expect this to look like from a bestlight TC?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

You should be fine in mixed lighting. You can tone it up and down in TC. I'd push for a supervised transffer. Or make your notes to the colorist VERY CLEAR.

#3 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

Cover the window with Full CTOrange, 85ND3, 85ND6 or 85ND9 (per your liking) and everything will be 3200k. Or use 1/2 or 3/4 CTO if you want the outside a little Blue... or add 1/2 or 3/4 CTBlue to your Lamps to better match the outside. I usually shoot Tungsten Film and so I gel the windows to my rpeferred color temp per the shot.. in your case I'd use 3/4 CTO.. shoot a 3200k Color Chart and shoot.

This will be a tremendous help to you: Film Lighting

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Metropolis Post