#1 anthony sado

anthony sado

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

if i was a beginner,what kind of lights would i require to give me a perfect quality when i am shooting a film?both indoors and outdoors, this has been giving me alot of trouble since i have no idea what to use or when to use it.if i could get a detailed rough guide u would be saving a life!!

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

FILM LIGHTING

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

if i was a beginner,what kind of lights would i require to give me a perfect quality when i am shooting a film?both indoors and outdoors, this has been giving me alot of trouble since i have no idea what to use or when to use it.if i could get a detailed rough guide u would be saving a life!!

That's an impossible question to answer ("perfect quality" lighting) given that nearly every environment and shot will call for different technical requirements to achieve the required looks.

IN GENERAL though, indoors you'll need tungsten units of varying watts. Something like a 1K (with a Chimera to soften it) will be adequate to light a single and close up. You'll need larger units, 2K and up depending on the size of the shot and the space you're shooting in, (and larger Chimeras or diffusion frames) to soften those.

The INTERIOR rooms themselves will be lit in a variety of ways depending on their size, windows with daylight spilling in, etc. There is no single formula or set of lights and other tools that can answer every situation. That's why professional Grip and Electric Departments carry a wide variety of tools that should be adequate for whatever situation the project calls for. Of course, in most cases where professionals are involved, an experienced Director of Photography will have discussed the script and looks with the Director and will know what he will need well ahead of time so that they are standing there on the day of the shoot wishing for something that isn't there.

Anyway, Day Exteriors are generally more about controlling daylight and then filling in shadows to even the contrast ratio with an uncontrollable background. So, grip equipment can be more prominent in these cases with silks (in frames) over the talent (supported with large stands and lots of sandbags). Grips may also bounce sunlight into the shot with "shiny boards" in lieu of powering up lights. If lights are used (to provide even and reliable light), Electrics will fire up large HMIs that are powered from a quiet generator.

Accomplishing all of this quickly and efficiently (so you have more time to get more shots during the daylight hours) requires an experienced quality crew. You can use a "dime a dozen" crew who you can pay very little for, but be aware of the compromises you'll be making to the quality of your overall project when you choose to do that. Lights and hardware are one thing, but almost as important, if not moreso, is having experienced PEOPLE around you. Anyone with a pulse can figure out how to plug in a light. But having experienced crew around you who can solve problems when they come up... and can keep them from happening in the first place... is more important. An experienced quality crew is the best "tool" you can ever invest in.

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

An experienced quality crew is the best "tool" you can ever invest in.

Ain't that the truth!

#5 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

Use available light. What lights are available?

Opal

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

CineTape

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies