#1 Salil Sundresh

Salil Sundresh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:26 AM

I'm looking to purchase a new ditty bag for all my tools and stuff I bring for doing G&E work on set. I often find myself traveling or walking with this bag on some shoots so I thought it might be handy (and easier on my arm) to have a backpack tool bag instead, but I've been having a hard time finding an appropriate one. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has products to suggest.

#2 Alexa Mignon Harris

Alexa Mignon Harris
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Grip
  • New York

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'm looking to purchase a new ditty bag for all my tools and stuff I bring for doing G&E work on set. I often find myself traveling or walking with this bag on some shoots so I thought it might be handy (and easier on my arm) to have a backpack tool bag instead, but I've been having a hard time finding an appropriate one. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has products to suggest.

Hi Salil,

Go to Filmtools.com. They have a great selection of belts and pouches for your tools. I also find fabulous supplies at army/navy stores and police supply stores.

You don't want to put too much on your belt either because not only will it weigh you down and cause eventual back and hip pain. It also ups the chance of getting caught on equipment when you're walking by. Everyone has a preference with what they keep on or off them. When I work I always have my C-wrench, speed hex key, leatherman and flashlight. Than I'll add to that if necessary. I keep everything else in my tool bag and the onset crate. Some guys like to have a roll of tape on their belt, some a hammer, some a producer etc. To each his own.

Belt and onset tools also vary when you're gripping, keying, besting, rigging, dollying....

Have a great shoot! =)

Alexa M Harris

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

You could wear a pack basket full of rigging gear like the old timers did with animal traps. Or not.:D

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

Platt Cases makes a couple of backpack toolbags. I own a couple of Platt's Field Engineer bags and love them to death. The velcro on the outside pocket flaps eventually wears out but it can be pretty easily replaced. Recently I tried adding detachable strap clasps to the flaps instead which is working out real well.

http://www.plattcase...earch=back pack

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Michele Peterson

Michele Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Burbank, Ca

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

A rolling bag is a popular option for when you have to carry your tools a long way, like from parking to set. You'll probably have more options and can even get something at your local hardware store.

#6 Florence Butler

Florence Butler

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi Salil,
My name is Florence Butler with GripsTuff.com / PowerTap and we manufacture bags of all kinds including custom bags, so if you can't find what you want and you want something made for you let me know.

We are working on a new website as ours only has 1 page working.

Regards,
Florence Butler
www.gripstuff.com
Phone: (407) 321-8619
Florence@gripstuff.com

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Visual Products