#1 John Reeve

John Reeve

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

How do the old arri standard mount 35mm format Zeiss lenses before the T* compare with Schneiders of the same period?

Is there a significant difference and if so what? Would these lenses intercut?

How do the pre T* compare with the T*?

#2 Hunter Hampton

Hunter Hampton
  • Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

I cant answer your question about the Schneiders, but I have used the old Standard Zeiss lenses your talking about with the T* coatings and without.

The Lenses with the T* coating are mildly faster (T2.1 instead of T2.2), the difference in contrast is very slight, and the only other thing that is noticeable is a slight blue-ish color shift on the T* coating- but this is very slight.

I'm guessing that before the "T" , Zeiss lenses had good coatings but they had not branded them yet. For me, If I was using the older standards anyways, I wouldn't care id they were T* coated or not. Hope that helps.

#3 SERGIO DOW

SERGIO DOW

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I cant answer your question about the Schneiders, but I have used the old Standard Zeiss lenses your talking about with the T* coatings and without.

The Lenses with the T* coating are mildly faster (T2.1 instead of T2.2), the difference in contrast is very slight, and the only other thing that is noticeable is a slight blue-ish color shift on the T* coating- but this is very slight.

I'm guessing that before the "T" , Zeiss lenses had good coatings but they had not branded them yet. For me, If I was using the older standards anyways, I wouldn't care id they were T* coated or not. Hope that helps.

...and how do they compare optically to the current Zeiss...?

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

...and how do they compare optically to the current Zeiss...?

Softer, Slower, cramped focus marks & the wider ones porthole wide open. Expect the prices to fall a very long way, 5 years ago you could not give a set away, $7,500 seemed like a lot of money, nobody wanted to rent them. Then along came RED and they were the best of the SubPrime lenses.

Abel Cine

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape