#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

I've been watching it, again. They're running it in 4:3. All those close-ups are really prominent in 4:3. It got me to thinking: Close-ups in widescreen still benefit from the sense of place and expanse all around those close-up'd heads. That automatic interaction of environment and subject intimacy that you can get with 2.40:1 is lost in 4:3. To me, 4:3 close-ups seem claustrophobic in comparison.

Just a notion.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Agreed.
Also I think that 2.40:1 is really good for any project wherein it's man -v- his environment, whereas 1.85:1 is perhaps mostly better for man -v- man. Course in the end that's just opinion and can't be used ALL the time... just my own thoughts on the matter. 4:3 screams TV news to me anymore :/

#3 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

I've been watching it, again. They're running it in 4:3.

Can they be prosecuted for that? I saw some of that the last go round, so I swtched channels. In this day and age they can't show 'em as they were intended?

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

AMC turned into just another cr*p program source the day they started running commercials. Unlike TCM which is still pretty much about the films, AMC is about making a buck. They're probably running 4:3 because they can get TV prints cheap. I also wonder if they even own the correct projection gear and/or digital boxes to letterbox 1.85:1 and scope. I've got my fingers crossed that someday TCM will go HD!

#5 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

AMC turned into just another cr*p program source the day they started running commercials. Unlike TCM which is still pretty much about the films, AMC is about making a buck. They're probably running 4:3 because they can get TV prints cheap. I also wonder if they even own the correct projection gear and/or digital boxes to letterbox 1.85:1 and scope. I've got my fingers crossed that someday TCM will go HD!

AMC ruins a lot movies with their lame censorship.

#6 Giles Sherwood

Giles Sherwood
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

Leone's closeups make fantastic use of the 2:35 space by means of the brims of the cowboy hats especially.

#7 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

Broadcasters reframing content should be a crime.

The premium channels on Dish often show films framed 2.35 : 1 down (or up depending on how you look at it) to 16 : 9 to fill the screen.

I feel like I am only seeing 2/3 of the film.

It makes me cringe. I watched "In Bruges" broadcast this way and then bought the DVD to see the content cropped from both sides.

#8 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

To me, 4:3 close-ups seem claustrophobic in comparison.

Need not necessarily be so, if you observe how they went into the kissing, let's say, with GWTW, 4:3 surrounds the couple very well. A CU can be arranged flat or in depth. 4:3 calls for a deeper awareness, not a broader horizon.

#9 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Need not necessarily be so, if you observe how they went into the kissing, let's say, with GWTW, 4:3 surrounds the couple very well. A CU can be arranged flat or in depth. 4:3 calls for a deeper awareness, not a broader horizon.

The above example was framed and shot in 4:3, thus the original composition is maintained.

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

Yes, without getting into the pros and cons of different aspect ratios, what matters is seeing the movie in the format it was composed to be seen in. 4x3 can be a wonderful frame in the hands of a master at composing for it. Look at these frames from "How Green Was My Valley":

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

Oh come on, we all know it was the singing that made that movie, LOL J/K.

Those are some beautiful stills, w/ very deep focus. And it's interesting how all except maybe the last picture, are of settings with a lot of vertical, instead of horizontal, expansiveness.

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc