3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

Can Combustion convert a dpx sequence to quicktime files? I ask because I am getting an incredible deal (too good to pass up) on an 2k scan via an Arriscanner for my S16 project. I wouldn't have even done it, but since the price is insanely low, I have to. So, I don't own Gluetools but do own Combustion 3 and was wondering if it can do what gluetools or Shake can do? If I can get negative conformed paired down a bit to a "scan flat", I might be able to afford Gluetools. Failing that, will combustion cut it and if so, how? Thanks for any input.

#2 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

Yes, Combustion can handle .dpx files, and you can render out as quicktime files. I'm hoping you'll just be using the quicktime for editing, because the .dpx files will be of much higher quality, so obviously that's what you'll want to use to create your final output.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Yes, Combustion can handle .dpx files, and you can render out as quicktime files. I'm hoping you'll just be using the quicktime for editing, because the .dpx files will be of much higher quality, so obviously that's what you'll want to use to create your final output.

Yes I will be using the DPX files for the finished film out. The ProRes HQ files I will make or some other QT file will be used for everything else. Another quick question. Does Color do this? From reading the manual, I get the impression it does. Yet no one every mentions using Color to transcode DPX to something else. I already have had my film scanned on a Shadow and was resigned to that quality for Bluray or HDCAM screeners. But then this offer for an Arriscan came up, so I have to jump on it.

#4 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've never used Color, but I'm almost sure it could. Many programs can read .dpx, including Photoshop, and virtually any video application will allow you to write quicktime files.

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio