Lucas Gath

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hi everyone,
I am a beginning DP shooting a dream sequence that mixes imagination with a person's past. For that reason I thought of using a Tobacco Filter + a Pro Mist filter. Yet, I am a starting DP and I am sure that there are a million things about doing this that I don't know of, right?

How many stops do I loose with each filter? Opinions? Do you guys think it will work?
any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Lucas

#2 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hi everyone,
I am a beginning DP shooting a dream sequence that mixes imagination with a person's past. For that reason I thought of using a Tobacco Filter + a Pro Mist filter. Yet, I am a starting DP and I am sure that there are a million things about doing this that I don't know of, right?

How many stops do I loose with each filter? Opinions? Do you guys think it will work?

Regards,
Lucas

Lucas, sounds like you're on the right track. There are various grades of each filter which will determine your exposure compensation. You might also want to experiment with a digital still camera to get a good idea of what you like. Tobacco filters tend to be fairly strong, even for the lowest grade being a 1. I'd suggest using a Fog filter if your going for a dreamy sort of look. You'll get much nicer soft halos off of highlights. If you're playing with warming filters, the Chocolate series. I think they give of more subtle and pleasing look.

Hope this helps.

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hi everyone,

Regards,
Lucas

Try it and see. Use different combinations. Go heavy if you test. See the extremes. There are two approaches I've see people take to using color. One is to compensate for the loss and the is to not. Try both and see what you like. Spot meter the filters if you compensate.

#4 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

try a classic soft filter, maybe a 1/2 or a 1. 2 may be too heavy. with the classic soft, experiment with overexposing by 1/2 to half a stop and see how the whites bloom.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

CineTape