New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Brussels

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

hello,
i've worked as second assistant camera dealing with film cameras and i've been asked to work as 1st assistant and the camera is going to be an HD or HDV, i don't know which one.
the production must soon send me the details about all those important things plus the lenses that we will use....

i just want to know how proceeds a 1st ass. cam on HD shootings, what are the tests to be made before, what may help me to prepare this shooting.

PS: i still have till the end of june before the production starts

Thank you

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:10 AM

hello,
i've worked as second assistant camera dealing with film cameras and i've been asked to work as 1st assistant and the camera is going to be an HD or HDV, i don't know which one.
the production must soon send me the details about all those important things plus the lenses that we will use....

i just want to know how proceeds a 1st ass. cam on HD shootings, what are the tests to be made before, what may help me to prepare this shooting.

PS: i still have till the end of june before the production starts

Thank you

1st Assistant Camera ;)

Find out what camera, and do tons of research asap. Focus, Exposure, Color Space, Gamma Curves, White Balance, Gain...etc. Spend some time on Wikipedia; also research this forum.

#3 Sing Howe Yam

Sing Howe Yam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

Also find out the camera so you can research the manual and figure out how to work the menus and how to get to everything quickly. DP's don't want to be dealing with camera problems when they have so much other things on their minds. So knowing the camera inside and out is extremely important, definitely during moments that everyone is in a rush because you don't want to whole crew waiting on you while you're trying to thumble through menus.

As for pulling focus, well I'm assuming the camera you'll be using either has a built in lens (which focus will be easy peasy) or a you'll be using a 35mm adapter. If using a 35mm adapter if you have time check all the lenses for focus (although, if using 35mm stills that goes out of the window for testing the focus to feet/meters) and you can shoot some footage on a color chart to see if there is any variances in color rendition from lens to lens.

Hope this helps.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

Hi Paul,

Check these pages out:
http://www.digitalci...101 Lesson Plan
http://www.digitalci...amera Checklist

They are a little over the top for a low-budget shoot with a prosumer fixed lens HD camera, but very thorough and helpful.

Glidecam

CineLab

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Opal